good small pets for children.

we will be moving in september. we will be looking for a small pet. we have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. we want a cat any way but also a small pet, maybe a hamster or something to help teach the 3 year old responsibility.. any suggestions?

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:36 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Hamster is a good idea, or maybe a hedgehog or guinea pig. Those are a little bigger then a hamster.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:38 PM on May. 2, 2009

• thanks... he loves reptiles too but i dont know much about them...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:42 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Creepy! LOL! I suppose, you could do an iguana, but I don't know about those. Although they are pretty cool. If you go that route, you may want to look up info on the web and talk to a pet shop person about them. I don't think they take much work. But just remember, if he doesn't care for it all the time, you will! *shiver*
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:44 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Guinea pig. If you don't like the looks of all that hair standing out all over, get a smooth one. They are really nice and friendly, and not as small as hamsters or rats.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:50 PM on May. 2, 2009

• To be honest, good luck trying to teach a 3 year old pet responsibility. I would pick something out that you don't mind having since you'll be the one taking care of it. JMO!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:50 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My son who is now 6 has been into "pets/critters since he was 3, he also loves reptiles. lol Little small tree frogs r a good pet but I will be honest from my experience with pets and small kids, its a pain in the butt for mommies!. lol
    SharoninKy

Answer by SharoninKy at 12:53 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Honestly, hamsters are not ideal pets for a 3 yr old. They are not recommended for kids under 8. They can't tell you if they are hurt or don't want to be messed with, so they strike back with the only weapon they have...their incisors. They will bite and it hurts!
    GP- great pets, but the smell if you don't clean them enough...they also have to have vitamin C or they will die.
    Birds- loud and noisy- wonderful pets though... not great with small kids.
    Reptiles- wonderful! Very clean, however, it will depend on the species of animal what the requirements are for their care. They are expensive to set up properly.. for instance, to set up a Red Eared Slider Turtle properly it will run approximately $200... BIG DRAW BACK WITH REPTILES- THEY CARRY SALMONELLA!!! Sanitation is key!
    I've worked with animals most of my life and would I would stick with the cat for a while.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 1:01 PM on May. 2, 2009

• a little white mouse! my mom got all of us kids one but the only ones who survived was mine. Then she got out and my mom vacumed her up lol just watch out with them, they are very misschievious. good luck!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I don't think any small animals are good for children that young. I have 3 guinea pigs and my youngest two kids, who are about the same age as yours, do not quite understand they are little animals and they can hurt and/or kill them if they do not hold them right. I let them hold them only if I am right near them, but that does not stop them from squeezing them, slapping them, pulling on their fur, dropping them, etc. A cat is much more resilient than a guinea pig. At that age, they really do not grasp the concept of the responsibilty of caring for small animals. Belive me, I have tried for months with them. My 7 year old is great with them and feeds them, gives them their hay, water, etc.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:01 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Fish. Great to watch. And a three yr old can help feed and clean the tank. Bettas are great.
    As for a furry animal, I seriously advise a cat. Full grown from a shelter. Bringing home a homeless animal will teach tons. Also, cats dont mind being ignored (well, most dont), and you just have to scoop once a day and feed.
    WhippleBaby

Answer by WhippleBaby at 6:41 PM on May. 2, 2009