I'm having a really hard time teaching my 4 year old her letters and numbers but yet she can read??? any ideas how to get her to remember what the letters look like?

She sits down with me and she reads but for some reason if i show her a card with a letter lets say B she'lll say i dont know and get mad and run to her room. please and idea's are welcome thanks so much

TPT420

Asked by TPT420 at 1:23 PM on May. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I bought my daughter the leapfrog my 1st computer it really helped her learn and most important remember her letters and numbers it's around $30 the games run from $12-20
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:27 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Try computer games. You can get ones to put on your computer (Reader Rabbit, etc), get a special sytstem for her (Leap Frog), or use free internet sites like www.StarFall.com.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• starfall.com is pretty good. i wanted to teach my ds is just turned 3 his letters and had no idea where or how to start. he plays on that site and now he can tell me over half the alphabet. he has only been doing it for a few weeks.
    Anonymous

• my daughter doesn't like to be criticized by me so I just signed her up for a really good academic preschool and when she feels like she knows something then she shows off for me. I never tried any computer games and try not to ask her to read to me but I read to her every night.
    Anonymous

• I'm against the computer method. Good old fashioned magnetic alphabet letters and flashcards are the way to go.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand how she can "read" if she doesn't know her letters. My son could repeat 32 pages of those step readers, word for word at 3 years old, but he didn't "read" until kindergarten.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on May. 3, 2009

• leap frog movies helped my kids know their letters and the sounds each letter makes by the age 2.5- they sell them at costco for about 6 bucks a piece- i loved these tapes because u could pop them in and while they are being entertained by stories and songs and wut not u could be cleaning or doing wutever u need to get done- and after say a couple of weeks ur child will be telling u wut letter says wut- theres a few- start with leapfrog letter factory then its the word factory then the complex words complex then something storytime- then after that if u would like u could move on to the math ones
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:41 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Don't force the letters now. If she is pushed to hard she may turn off. She sounds like she is on the right track for entering K. You don't need to know it all. Some ideas: make letters in pudding or finger paint and match to a name make letters in sand make play dough letters Use biscuit dough to bake letters and then eat them You don't need to do sight cards only. Starfall.com is really good too, I agree. She will learn. She may recognize words by sight from repeated reading or she may just have the story memorized. Those are also pre reading strategies. Let her read you "the pictures." All of that is good for comprehension. Don't push or rush......she'll get it all. Some kids like working with a teacher rather than a parent too. The dynamic is so different. Have fun and enjoy the entire process with her. Good luck!

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:24 AM on May. 3, 2009

• For my son who is now 5 yrs old, we bought him a poster with all of the letters on it, and practiced with flash cards. It's really repetitive, but so well worth it. It literally took him 2-3 weeks to know his numbers and letters back and forth. Whatever you do don't force them. I'd spend about an hour at most with him everyday. Magnets work well as well. Just keep trying, and they'll come around.
    Firefly1981

Answer by Firefly1981 at 12:03 PM on May. 3, 2009

• "I don't understand how she can "read" if she doesn't know her letters. My son could repeat 32 pages of those step readers, word for word at 3 years old, but he didn't "read" until kindergarten."

Teaching a child to read requires them to memorize phonics, not letter names. Children can learn to read without even being able to say their ABC's.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 1:09 PM on May. 3, 2009