Can I dye My Hair?

I'm 11 weeks and 2days pregnant and I was wondering if it was ok for me to dye my hair? Thanks!

Mamamegan

Asked by Mamamegan at 1:28 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The simple answer to this is "they dont know." no one really knows if it is safe for you to do this or not. but from what i have read this is what i know:
    60% of whatever you put onto you sking (including your scalp) goes into your bloodstream, which in turn will go into your babies as well.
    Will it have a clear cut negative effect on your baby? Probably not. ...when i get pregnant will i dye my hair. No way!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:33 PM on May. 2, 2009

• as long as its natural dye, i dont see why not.. it can have NO ammonia in it, which means no salon quality stuff.. they have stuff at walmart that is naturally made, so it shouldnt cause any problems.. i think it people can use lice treatments, why cant they dye their hair? i know someone who did both..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 1:35 PM on May. 2, 2009

• There have been no known birth defects directly related to dying your hair while pregnant. I am 26 weeks and I have dyed mine twice already. My friend dyed hers at least 4 while she was pregnant and had a healthy baby boy. I personally see nothing wrong with it until they can tell me as a fact that dying your hair will cause a problem with your baby...but as for right now there is nothing supporting that. However I would wait until after you are out of your first trimester.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:36 PM on May. 2, 2009

• They dont have anything stating that, Ash, because no one has done the research on it. Which also means we dont have any clear evidence to believe it is safe either.
    Please remember lead. No one did any studies to find out the effects of lead. So it was assume that it was safe. ...years later it was made clear that it is not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:39 PM on May. 2, 2009

• with the cheap dye from the stores yes, as long as you are in an open area and do not breathe too much of the chemicals! good luck!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• you have to be in teh open air, most dyes don't have the chemical that you should stay away from but still you should avoid taking in the chemicals, but it is ok to dye your hair.
    sherlockhlm

Answer by sherlockhlm at 2:15 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Again, being in an open area isnt going to make much of a different sense 60%-70% of whatever you put on your skin goes directly into your bloodstream.
    But also, as i said, i dont believe it will cause in clear cut damage to your baby.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:16 PM on May. 2, 2009

• They say it's safer to wait until the second trimester. But the most dangerous part is the fumes. If you do end up doing it, try doing it outside or near an open window. And also, it's even less dangerous if you keep it off your scalp. Just get some highlights/lowlights done in the salon and tell them you want to be close to the door or with a small fan facing you.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 2:51 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Oh and also, the prego hormones change your reaction to colors. So you could be going for a nice auburn and end up looking like ronald mcdonald......good luck!!!
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 2:53 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I read up on it and it used to be said that it was not safe, but they have come back and said that it is. Not enough of the chemicals are soaked up through your scalp to be able to cause damage to the baby... but like others said be in a well ventilated area. My DD is almost 10 months old and is a happy and healthy baby. I dyed me hair about 3 times I think while I was pregnant... But I do agree with the mom that said to wait until your 2nd trimester. Just to be safe... =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:31 PM on May. 2, 2009