Can you, while your pregnant?

Can you dye your hair while your pregnant (early in pregnancy)? I've heard a huge debate and I'd like to know what you mom's think?

heathertilton08

Asked by heathertilton08 at 2:12 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've heard it was safe. But, I didn't. I've heard the debate too, and I didn't think I should take a chance.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:17 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I waited until 17 weeks to dye my hair..my baby is making my hair go white so it took ALOT for me to wait that long=[
    i personally think you should wait until your out of the first trimester.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 2:22 PM on May. 2, 2009

• it's safe to dye your hair when you are pregnant, but you should be in a open space, so that you don't inhale the chemicals, just to be safe, but most dyes don't have teh chemiacl that doctors do not recommend for pregnant women, so it should be safe, but just to be sure, try not to take in an chemicals, but you can dye your hair, in a well aired area.
    sherlockhlm

Answer by sherlockhlm at 2:30 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I don't dare. The chemicals in the bathroom cleaner I use drive me nuts so I'm sure the hair dye chemicals would too since they are a lot stronger. I feel like when my body is sensitive to something like that then it's my body's way of telling me that it's bad for me.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:12 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My doctor said you need to wait at least til the second trimester. Also, do it in an open area.
    1stTimeMommyMeg

Answer by 1stTimeMommyMeg at 3:13 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i was 12 weeks when i highlighted mine and we're perfectly fine!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 3:59 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i've decided to wait until after the baby is born. Don't want to breathe in the chemicals at the salon and don't want to take a chance in risking the baby's health. So, although, I'm turning gray/white...I'll just wait to look beautiful later, lol. It is bugging me...I have no patience...but, I will still be good and wait. 4 more weeks or sooner to go!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:04 PM on May. 2, 2009

• heres the thing darker hair colors are largley soy based anymore and when going lighter you may have some kinda bleaching component, there is no scientific proof that any chemical will penetrate the scalp and harm the baby but you should take precautions to not inhale or use really powerful smelling kinds and be aware that sometimes the horomal changes in your body can affect the color but I have colored my hair twice since being pregnant once to go back darker and once just the other day to cover some lovely grey and me and my baby are perfectly fine lol good luck
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 5:14 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I dyed my hair in the first trimester and that was 10years ago and my child is healthy & happy.
    Anonymous

• what to expect when expecting states that it's safe to color your hair. try using something with less harsh chemicals or tell your stylist that you're pregnant to see if they have anything less harsh. also, like stated before, make sure the room is open and ventilated so you dont inhale fumes.
    kristinmj

Answer by kristinmj at 2:38 PM on May. 3, 2009