how do i get my child to go to sleep and stay asleep through the night

i really bonded with my first child a little too much. i starterd to co-sleep wtih her cause it was easy and satisfying to my emotional self. well now i want to sleep with my partner and she wont stay asleep in her bed at night. she's 9 months old now and i've been tring to get her to sleep through the night for the last 2 months now and nothing i do seems to work to the point where i'm so tired i give in and fall asleep with her. if someone can help us get a good nights sleep i would love you forever

rae.rae

Asked by rae.rae at 2:25 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I would try a bedtime routine, dinner,bath,massage with lotion, sing or read her a book! Every night at the same time if you can! I have a 4 month old and shes been sleeping through the night since she was 2 months. She goes to bed at 8-8:30 and wakes up at 7 in the morning. If she does wake up though during the night, we just get her and change her diaper and put her right back to bed! Now they are going to fuss for a little bit but it works for us! Its also good to put her to bed when shes still awake but you know that shes tired...hope it works, good luck! ; )
    v_serenil

Answer by v_serenil at 2:42 PM on May. 2, 2009

• There is no such thing as bonding with your child too much! This is going to be a tough one, though. For nine months you allowed your baby to sleep with you because it satisfied you emotionally and now all of sudden it is an inconvenience because you want to bed up with your partner? I suggest joining the cafemom CIO Alternatives  group, if you feel you must transition her to hew own bed. This will give you some ideas on how to do so without haveing to resort to crying it out. 

EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 2:45 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Why not continue to share the family bed? My daughter is three and still co-sleeps and we all sleep great.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 4:33 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I don't know if there is any quick fix for this one. I would suggest gradual transitioning. Start having her sleep in a play yard( pack and play, playpen...whatever you call it) in the same room with you. When that starts to work then Try putting her in the crib. You might have to let her cry a little, but it will be worth it in the end. Try putting her to bed and letting her cry for five or ten minutes at a time. Then go in and soothe her (without picking her up). Hopefully you will only have to do this for a few nights before she gets it down.
    Sophia_L

Answer by Sophia_L at 4:40 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You can still co sleep. There's no such thing as bonding too much. Her emotional needs need to be met. She's most comfortable with you. This is really too young to expect sleeping through the night. You can make it better, but miraculous. My 18mos old still wakes frequently at night. Set a routine, get the book The No Cry Sleep Solution, DO NOT LET HER CIO, and just sleep together.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:01 PM on May. 2, 2009