Where does it say that?

I am happy, and at peace. I have a connection to Higher Power that embraces me in love and makes me feel at home. I have no doubts, ever. I may have abuse and ridicule from others, but in that singular relationship I have no questions or misgivings. There is no blind faith in answers I do not know - I may not have it memorized but I know where to find them and they've never let me down. I have a connection to my ancestors going back to before time, and a clearly marked roadmap to living a good life.

So why is it, some people think I should give that up for doubt and discomfort just because that Higher Power is not named Jesus? Where exactly in the Bible does it state that it is better to be miserable in the name of Jesus than happy and at peace elsewhere?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:41 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow. I didn't get thru all of the replies, but people just don't grab the concept. I too am happy and content and there is no god in my life. but some die hard christians just cannot accept the fact that you could be happy without Jesus. You stay with what works for you. Just because it isn't Jesus doesn't mean you are not totally fulfilled. I am no religion so ummm........ RAmen sister!! May you be blessed in every way even if it's not His noodly appendage. :p
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:50 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Where exactly in the Bible does it state that it is better to be miserable in the name of Jesus than happy and at peace elsewhere?

I'm curious for that answer as well. You always come up with the best questions :oD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:43 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I'm confused why being Christian, or believing in Jesus, is equated with being miserable.

I too am quite happy in my beliefs which involve Him.

Anonymous

• beleive what you want, just don't get mad when I won't picture my child with a gun to their head. I guess I am not one of the "some Christians" you are talking about.
    Anonymous

• 'm confused why being Christian, or believing in Jesus, is equated with being miserable.

Because it makes me miserable, much like I expect being a Heathen would make you miserable. The difference is, I don't go around telling you you'll go to hell if you don't become a Heathen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I wish Christians could understand that people with other faiths (or even lack of faith) are just as sure about their relation with God Christians are.

I agree with you. I am at peace more than most of the Christians I know.

Anonymous

• The way I see it, some people think that "as long as they believe in Jesus, they're good." Like, maybe they secretly question their beliefs, but they're too scared to follow their heart. Some take the "in the end, if there IS a God, at least I took the right route and believed in Him."

How do I know? I used to be just like that. But after a long struggle I could no longer follow a religion that I couldn't whole-heartedly believe in. I was miserable being a Christian. As soon as I renounced all religion, I became a much happier person.

But that's just me. I wouldn't try to force anyone to give up their beliefs. Some people need religion to be happy. I'm one who doesn't.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:47 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I'm truly sorry you feel you would be miserable in a relationship with Jesus, because for me, it's been the exact opposite. Please, I mean no offense, if you are happy in what you believe, that's great! But, to assume we are unhappy in Jesus is really kinda offensive. I have no doubt or discomfort in Christ. In fact, when I was in the world was a million times worse than now. I constantly tried to conform myself to how the world wanted me to be, failing miserably everytime,and making myself more and more miserable in the process. Once I found God, and came to Christ, everything else literally fell into place,and I've never looked back,and to be honest, I don't miss the things of the world I no longer indulge in. I'm a happier person, more confident than I ever was, my health is better, my family is stronger,and our finances are better. Not gonna say it's perfect,nothing is,but I can tell you, I would never give up the love and
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 2:47 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You're assuming all Christians go around telling people they're bound for hell.

I've gotten that for not being in specific denominations, but that's not something my denomination does.
    Anonymous

• Has a Christian told you that you must be miserable? I do not think a Christian would put associate misery with Christ. While you might be miserable I do not think that is the context in which the conversation is meant. Although it might be your personal meaning.
    Anonymous