What if God isn't really the only God out there?

What if God was really part of a group of other deities, and he was so vain that he just got a man to write the Bible for him stating that he was the one and only God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The upside is, with few exceptions, the other gods wouldn't care. Other faiths, not even Judaism, have the Believe This Or Else clause.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:06 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Ithink this question was asked earlier this week.

However, I think the bible says you shall no other God before me...not I am the only God.

...and I know my MIL thinks she is a god.
    Anonymous

• And,on the flip side of that, what if He is? Then,what will you do?
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:08 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Doesn't the Old Testament say that? In Exodus 20, he says "You must have no other gods besides me" (Exod 20:3). In Exod 20:6 he says "for, I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God."
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:11 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i think honestly in my opinion its up to you to do your own researching and soul searching on this, and figure out for yourself what you choose to believe. No one person has all the answers, so a book written by man surely doesn't have all the answers just listen to your heart and your head on this and see what you feel is right.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 3:17 PM on May. 2, 2009

• In my opinion it isn't a question of what if...
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:18 PM on May. 2, 2009

• There are many instances in other religions where there were many gods, and than all of the sudden one of them became the sole deity to worshipped as the one true God.

In Ancient Egypt, during the reign of Akhenaten, The Aten was worshipped along side many Gods until the Pharoah decided that the Aten was to be the one true God, and the only God worshipped.

In Ancient Arabia, before Islam, Allah lived together and was worshipped along side many other deities until Muhammad adopted him as the one true God- they like to agrue this point, but it's historical history.

Why couldn't the God of Abraham have the same background? Just because it says so in the Bible? Things were left out of it on purpose you know...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:24 PM on May. 2, 2009

• It's an idea I'm open to, I mean all of time and space must hold lots of possibilities.

But if he's essentially my creator, I think that makes him my God. I mean, I have one guy that's my dad, even though there are plenty of other dads out there.
    Anonymous

• A god is anything you put before the one true God. For some it is false gods, for others it might be money, worldly pleasures or even for some it could be their children or their husband. People can make a god out of anything. It's something that you place an importance on or that you put your trust in more than God Almighty.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:17 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Well, Christ quotes a psalm about gods, and they do exist, but Our God is not vain. . . he is our God. He created us and Our world and our universe. But other Gods created their worlds and universes and are the only true God of them. There's nothing sacrilegious about it, it's just that the universe is so vast. Just as we can possibly be the only world with life that God created, Why should it be wrong to think that other Gods exist?
    1heart1mind

Answer by 1heart1mind at 4:45 PM on May. 2, 2009