What would you say to someone who said...

"I'd rather believe in the Christian God and be miserable, than not believe and find out when I'm dead that I'm going to Hell."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would tell them if you are miserable you do not know God :)
    Anonymous

• Well,for one I'd say believing in the God of Heaven and Earth will NOT make you miserable. In fact, you'll find more freedom, love,acceptance and happiness than you ever had. So, for starters,that person isn't a real Christian, if they want to be miserable. However, I can say,for me, I'd rather live my life believing in God, only to find out at the end, when I have NOTHING left to lose, I was wrong, than to live not believing in Him,and find out at the end when it's too late,and I now have EVERYTHING to lose I was wrong. But,that's just me.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:11 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I would say it is sad you are living your life in fear on the chance, not the assurance, that if you don't you might possibly be wrong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:11 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree with anon. ...although for different reasons i am sure. If you "believe in God" such as the biblical god, then you have to truly feel it. you dont just believe. you know. you have a relationship with God. You are spirittual.
    If you dont feel that way. then you dont have any place in saying that you "believe in God".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:13 PM on May. 2, 2009

• That would be aweful to only believe in something out of fear of "just in case" Thats not love, that is guilt and fear.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:15 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I have no guilt,and no fear. I know I'm secure,and safe in God's love,and I have nothing to fear. What I don't understand is why you all think that's how it is? I've never had any kind of thoughts like that,since I became a Chrstian, in fact, mine are the opposite.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:17 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I would say, "Whatever floats your boat."
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 3:18 PM on May. 2, 2009

• What I don't understand is why you all think that's how it is?

Because for a lot of people who are not named stvmen88 that is how it is. People are different.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:18 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I would say where in the Bible does it say that is the way. LOL

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Anonymous

• Thank you for your answer NP. I see what you are saying now.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:20 PM on May. 2, 2009