did i hear right that u should use a rear facing car-seat for 2/year olds?

my son is 2 and as tall as a 3 year old i could imagine his legs smashed against the backseat

mrslittle04

Asked by mrslittle04 at 3:40 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow! I have never heard that, but it really does give me the chuckles (hahaha) My son is 2 years old, but the size of a 4 year old ... I could never see straping him into his brother's carseat to face in backwards .... Sounds more dangerous than safe! I'd just stick to letting him face foward.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 3:48 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i've head that people do it, but not that its recommended by the academy of pediatrics. my daughter is 3, weighs 38 lbs and is as tall as most 5 yr olds, i can't imagine trying to get her to face rear, her legs would be up on the ceiling of the car! if your carseat says is safe for them than its safe for them, thats the way i see it
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:59 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Really... you can imagine your childs legs smashed in the backseat??
    Imagine this, your child is all happy forward facing, when you are in a wreck, and he is internally decapitated. Which picture looks worse to you?
    His legs will be fine. Kids bend in all kinds of ways and arent uncomfortable. Yes you heard it right, there are moms out there keeping their kids sitting the safest way possible.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 4:20 PM on May. 2, 2009

• WILL YOU PEOPLE PLEASE DO RESEARCH?! If you are commenting about their legs, you know nothing. If your child is over 35 pounds, you can't do it. This information is out there. I saw it in an elementary school poster last week.
    Anonymous

• Wow, into scaring people much?

The AOP says that its safe to face your child forward when they reach 1 years of age AND are over 20 pounds. My daughter's legs are too long and my car is too small to have her rear-facing.

If you're into rear-facing, good for you, but don't needlessly try to scare other mom's into thinking that they're intentionally putting their child's life in danger.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 5:01 PM on May. 2, 2009

• There are several parenting choices that are debateable. Bottle vs. Breast Cloth vs. disposable Paci vs. no paci - with all these parenting choices the child will not suffer serious consequences. But choosing to turn your child around just because some law makers say its safe "enough" at 1 is just plain stupid. This is an issue that you should follow PROFESSIONAL opinons on. Keep your head in the sand....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 5:26 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Extended rear-facing is not all that new. It was mentioned out there in the world when my 5 year old was an infant. It just wasn't as public as it is now.

Yes, the AAP is now recommending rear-facing until at least 2. Recommending. It is not a law.

The weight limit on most rear facing seats is 35lbs...and that's why so many say to do it until that weight. HOWEVER, those seats also do have height limits, and those limits should be considered as well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:39 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Rear facing is the safest even if their legs are smuushed up. Keep that baby rear facing until they hit the weight or height limit on your car seat for rear facing. For me that was about 22 months for both kids only the first hit height and the second hit weight.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:08 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Rear facing to 35 pounds is the safest and it has nothing to do with height or how long legs are. CRISS CROSS APPLESAUCE! That is something taught in preschool for cryin out loud. Have you ever sat in one place with you legs dangling for a while? Its not comfortable and your legs get all tingly. Just cross their legs.
    Anonymous

• The AAP is now recommending that they stay rearfacing until 2yrs. and 30lbs. You can read more about that here: http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a

It is 5x safer for toddlers to be rearfacing vs. forward facing. They should stay rearfacing until they reach the maximum weight limit on their seat (most are 30 or 33lbs. some go to 35lbs.) and/or they have less than 1in. of carseat shell above their heads. If they are too big for rfing, then they should ride in a forward facing 5pt. harness for as long as possible.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 8:32 PM on May. 2, 2009