HELP! Potty Training!

I want to potty train my oldest son now, and he seems to be very interested in it. The only problem is he doesn't talk, and doesn't make a "potty sign" until after we wet his pants. I don't want to have to ask him every hour if he needs to go cuz I just feel like I'm the one getting potty training. The most stressful thing is his cousin who is younger than him speaks in full sentances & uses the potty on her own. Does anyone else have these same problems? Or any suggestions?

ShiningStar24

Asked by ShiningStar24 at 3:43 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a real pain. I put each of my children on the potty chair whenever I used the bathroom. For some reason, they have trouble telling us when they have to go, especially if they are wearing a diaper or underwear. Children go through certain phases before they are day potty trained. I am currently in phase 2. Phase 1: they must learn to become comfortable with the potty chair. Phase 2: let the child go without wearing anything below the waist. They must 1st learn to recognize what their body is telling them and why. When they learn this, they will be able to tell you that they have to go and will even go to the potty chair to take care of business. Phase 3: they learn to take care of business after they pull their underwear down. Good luck on the training and don't let it frustrate you.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:19 PM on May. 2, 2009

• well at first you will need to remind him to go every half hour to an hour.. Really it isn't that hard to put a child on the potty every half hour. My son was potty trained at 2 and is now 2 1/2 and is completed potty trained however we still put pull ups on him at night in case he has an accident during bed time. However he is also speaking in short sentences. Every kid is different though my nephew is 2 1/2 and hasn't even started potty training nor does he show interest. Don't push the potty training if he isn't ready because it will take you longer to get him trained in the long run.
    Anonymous

• Just keep putting them on the potty.Even if they dont go make a big deal out of it. Being consistent is very important. I just got my son completly potty trained. Good luck
    kathycompton

Answer by kathycompton at 8:00 PM on May. 2, 2009