Medicaid??

My 9 month old was just approved for full medicaid... but I have no idea how it works. Do I need some kind of medicaid card? Do I need a specific pediatrician? How soon can she go to the doctor? Does it cover hospital visits? etc... I hope someone can fill me in. Thanks!

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 3:52 PM on May. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is different by state. Medicaid is a state program. Your state should have a web site.
    Anonymous

• I just answered this question ??? Not sure why you deleted it???
    Anonymous

• they should give you a card with a number like an insurance card that you take with you to all doctor visits and yes to hospital visits too. Yes they should give you a list of pediatricians when you go to get your card. Or you might just have to call yourself and find one who accepts medicade. most private practices dont though. Its kinda difficult. I have medicade and Im pregnant and they fill you in on everything when you go. Dont hessitate to ask them questions thats what their there for! Hope I helped. Good Luck!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:58 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You will get a medicaid card in the mail. You will also get a booklet with all the local providers that accept medicaid. If you don't pick a provider within a certain time frame, one will be assigned to you. If you don't like the one they pick for you, you can have it changed later...

Your local DFACS office should be able to answer your questions with more detail.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:00 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You will get a medicaid card in the mail soon. What I did with my daughter was just call the doctors office and ask if they accepted medicaid :P It should cover hospital visits, I'm pretty sure all hospitals take medicaid. I'd say as soon as you get your medicaid card you can take her. Idk, when I got approved I was given a piece of paper with my information on it that was kind of like a temporary card/proof of insurance. GL.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:06 PM on May. 2, 2009

• you have to see the dr you choose through healthy connections. (they give you a list of drs) you can change it anytime though... you can take your baby to the dr you have a number before you get your card they just have to call medicaid to verify that you're covered. they also can take care of some of your medical bills from 3 months before you were accepted I believe.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 4:29 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Anon 57 - I posted in three sections cuz I didn't know which was I just post it in but I never deleted it... I think you found my other one too and asked this there. Thanks for your answers lady's! =]
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 4:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• They will mail you an insurance card. You just need to find a peditrician thatll accept medicaid. Medicaid sent me a whole packet full of doctors names and their practices. I let them pick one for me, and im sooo happy I did! Medicaid will cover anything 3 months back from when you go to the doctor. So if you dont have your card and need to go to the doctor. Tell them your child is on medicaid, but havent received the card yet. Theyll just want you to bring in the card on your next visit.

(Atleast this is how it worked for me in NC)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:16 PM on May. 2, 2009