Fasting while nursing?

The Pastor of our church has called for a church wide fast( liquids only) for one week. I am exclusively bf my 3 month old baby . I would like to participate in the fast if I can find a way to do so without it affecting my milk supply. I was thinking of using protein shakes in place of meals and of plenty of fluids and possibly liquid gelatin and chicken broth. What do you think. No bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO NO NO NO NO DO NOT FAST while nursing especially that young. The calorie/supply thing isn't a problem as you could probably manage with protein shakes etc to make sure you got enough calories and vitamins. The problem is when you do a liquid fast you are cleansing your body of toxins and they go right into your breast milk and that is NOT a good thing. I personally have done liquid fasts every year for 4 years before I had my kids and the first thing my doc (who oversaw the fasts) told me was that I could not fast while pregnant or nursing. It is great that you want to participate, but to me my child's health is more important then the church! if the church has a problem then talk with LOs doc and get them to write you a doctor's excuse or something like that. I think god will forgive you on this one too!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i think i would defiantly ask a doctor or babys pedi before doing that
    doosti

Answer by doosti at 4:36 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Terrible idea. You need to be getting at least 1800 calories a day do sufficiently make milk for your baby. If you do not get enough calories you will stop making milk. I admire that you want to participate but you should definitely sit this one out.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 4:37 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Even though your ideas are good about the fast, I probably wouldnt do it. I noticed that after not eating or eating very little for just 2 days lowered my milk supply. Ask your doc if they are open minded.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Wow that sounds really extreme. What church do you go to that advocates this? And your breast milk may diminish if you aren't taking in enough fluids, but as long as you aren't starving your milk won't change much.Baby will be fine, however you will have the life sucked out of you (literally) at double the speed.You're supplying all of your own vitamins as well as baby's.. If you don't supplement with vitamins or something your running a big risk. The baby will literally suck the calcium out of your bones/teeth, along with any other vitamins you have. That's the reason it's important to eat healthy while pregnant and nursing.. it's not for the baby, it's more for you.I wouldn't do it honestly. You can seriously damage yourself like that, even die from an imbalance of electrolytes and potasium (heart failure). That's a dangerous game.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 4:47 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I think you can consider a modified fast. I have used this. It's more about the sacrifice, but it's something. I eat only fruits and vegetables, except I get two proteins daily. Water only to drink. I've only done it for 3 days, and my baby was six months.
    Anonymous

• I should clarify.. when I say baby will be fine.. I mean in content your milk won't change much from that of a normal diet. The vitamins and minerals are pulled from your body depleating your body even more son than normal, which is why it's important to continue taking prenatal/nursing vitamins. The other ladies are correct in that your milk will dip in supply, usually due to a lack of liquid but also fat content and calories. You may force yourself into early weaning if you continue with this plan

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 4:52 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Liquids only for one week seems unhealthy to me. I'm sorry, but I would never do that while nursing. The health of my family would mean more to me. If you can find a safe way to do it and you have a strong desire for it, then be careful. It just does not seem like a wise choice to me. Even if you weren't nursing.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:56 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Op here.LOL.. It is not about the fast being mandatory or if I think I will go to hell if I don't .Although fasting a regular part of my religion. I have fasted before, but never while nursing. The Pastor feels the need to fast ,and has asked those who can, to fast with him for a week.. I just wanted to participate in the fast and wanted to know if I could safely while nursing.Thanks for all your responses .. It has been a little while since I did an all liquids fast and I has forgotten about it cleansing the body of toxins.

Anonymous

• yeah bad idea...you need the nutrition more than the milk supply issue...this could kill you seriously. A mom in a 3rd world country can BF her baby and have the supply so I'm sure you could, BUT it would malnourish you rather than the baby. A healthy mom is worth not following your pastor. God gave you breasts and a healthy body to provide for your child, neglecting what god has given you is so not a good thing.
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_are-liquid-diets-safe-for-new-moms_4597.bc
    and a quote
    If you're breastfeeding, though, you'll want to use meal replacements only to provide a healthy option when you need a quick snack or an occasional quick meal (no more than once a day). Relying on liquid replacement meals more often than that won't provide the calories or nutrients you need for your own health or for nursing.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:09 PM on May. 2, 2009