omg i am so grossed out (i will never buy fruit again)

second time this has happened to me. last summer i baught some strawberries and when i was washing them and these really tiny bugs were all all them i mean (ALOT) so i took them back and got my money back so now i will never buy fruit at walmart again. so last week i baught blackberries at marcs and i was just eating them let me say i rinsed them really good and i mean good. ever since the strawberries i really clean this stuff. but i am sitting here eating them and these freaking tiny bugs were in them again and this is a different place i baught them at. i am afraid to buy fruit now anywhere. this is gross. we have a blackberry tree in the backyard and i picked them last summer and as i was soaking them in water and these same tiny bugs that i found on the strawberries and blackberries were in the ones i picked. yuck. is this normal in fruit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes, its normal. Insecticides usually kill bugs that are attracted to fruit.

When you find bugs in or on fruit, one of two things has usually happened:
    1.) No insecticides/pesticides were used
    2.) The chemicals used weren't strong enough

While I know its gross to eat bugs, the bugs do you absolutely no harm and are quite normal. You can encounter this at any food store, and usually has no reflection of the store's cleanliness. Just take the fruit back.

There's no reason to swear off fruit forever.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:25 PM on May. 2, 2009

• lol. is there some way to clean them that they get off the fruit?
    Anonymous

• Hmm...I'm not sure...when you soaked them, did you just use water?
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:28 PM on May. 2, 2009

• yes. i was sure if anything else can be used. so all this time this fruit me and my kids have been eating had these bugs? i mean i really never paid attention till after them strawberries last year.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, what color are the bugs? (I'm asking my mom some questions lol)
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:31 PM on May. 2, 2009

• they looked like a off white type and just really tiny
    Anonymous

• Those might be fruit fly larvae or aphids. You can use an organic fruit and veggie wash to wash them off after purchasing....I'm not sure which ones are the best though.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:39 PM on May. 2, 2009

• fyi (and this is gross!) there are bugs in our food. There is a rule the FDA has about the percentage of bug body parts to food ratio that can be in processed foods (like chocolate). I just look at it that its extra protien. I dont really want to know whats in my fast food or other foods I eat, I just go with the flow.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:39 PM on May. 2, 2009

• you beat me too it seriossifl. There's gross things in all food and make up contains gross stuff too.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Nevermind, my mom just gave me a homemade recipe for fruit/veggie washes she uses that she saw in one of her gardening mags:

What You Need:
    White vinegar
    Water
    A spray bottle

What You Do:
    For Hard-skinned Fruits and Vegetables:

1. Fill a spray bottle with equal parts white vinegar and water.

2. Then, spray the solution onto your fruits and vegetables; rub it in; and rinse.

For Soft-skinned Fruits and Vegetables:

1. Fill a bowl with equal parts white vinegar and water.

2. Then, soak your fruits and vegetables in the solution for a minute or two, and rinse.

Why This Works
    The acetic acid in vinegar kills bacteria and helps to dissolve the wax and pesticide residues found on the skins of many fruits and vegetables.

I hope this helps you sweetie!
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:41 PM on May. 2, 2009