Can you throw a frozen casserole in the oven frozen?

or do you HAVE to thaw it? Wouldn't it be just like throwing one of those Stoffer's frozen lasagnas in? What should I cook it at and about how long? lol thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Read the instructions on the box.

Does it say that it can be cooked frozen, or should it be thawed first?
    If it doesn't say, leave it frozen and cook it for the temperature and time recommended.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:26 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Yes you can cook it frozen. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45-1 hour and half depending on the size of the casserole. You just have to keep an eye on it..

munchkinaplenty

Answer by munchkinaplenty at 4:27 PM on May. 2, 2009

• This is a frozen pasta casserole I made myself Peaches, I didn't have enough time to thaw it today.
    Anonymous

• Hmm....that's a tricky one.

Is your casserole 'set'? What I mean by that is if you let it thaw, is it going to get runny and/or lose its shape? If yes, then I'd cook it frozen.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd probably cook it frozen, just at a lower temp and keep and eye on it so it doesn't scortch or burn.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• What I would worry about would be if the casserole dish would break. If it is frozen in a metal pan, or freezer to oven safe dish, then no problem I'd cover well and bake about 350 for 1-2 hours, depending on how dense or big it is. For example, lasagna I'd give a couple hours just in case. If it is in a glass dish, I'd transfer it to a metal pan to bake.

Answer by Bmat at 5:09 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree with Bmat! If it is in a glass dish, it will probably shatter when you put it in the oven. Otherwise, I think you would be just fine to cook it frozen.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:41 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I would just let the casserole sit at room temp for about 30 minutes so the dish warms up a little, otherwise the dish can shatter in the oven.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:49 PM on May. 3, 2009