My son's pedi says he doesn't have thrush...why does it still hurt to nurse?

I'm going on my 3rd week of breastfeeding and I've seen my son's pedi 3 x's she said he doesn't have thrush, but it still hurts to nurse...the latch can't get any better so I know its not that...anyone have any advice for me please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I, too, sore nipples off and on for about the 1st 5 weeks. I used to put Lansinoh lanolin on my nipples to help with chapping. I remember that it hurts so much I would cry and practically scream for about the 1st 30 seconds after the baby latched on. The pain will go away and your son will latch on better soon. Your body is adjusting to nursing.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:38 PM on May. 2, 2009

• it is very normal to be sore at first and just because he doesn't have thrush doesn't mean you don't. Without more description of the pain it is hard to tell if it is thrush in you or not. I had thrush, but somehow my LO never got it. Took me 2 weeks to get rid of it after 3 weeks of pain trying to figure out what it was. Check out www.kellymom.com for great advice on breastfeeding or find a local LaLecheLeague chapter for support.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:42 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Op here, its painful for the first about 30 seconds that he latches on and the pain shoots right to my back..I'm not sure if its me making it worse for myself because I'm tensing up so much, or if its something else.  My son does have creamy white stuff on him tongue but the doc said that was from milk...and his lips do get blistered..is it because he's sucking so hard??

Anonymous

• Use the lansinoh for chappiness. It gets better I swear. I don't remember how long it took, I think I just eventually stopped noticing the pain. The Sensitivity goes away too. If you don't have white spots on your nipples and in your baby's mouth you don't have thrush. Plus thrush usually occurs in a compromised immune system.

Hang in there it gets better!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Possibly a clogged duct or mastitis? Contact your local La Leche League. They can and will help you get to the bottom of this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:00 PM on May. 2, 2009

• A lactation consultant can help you more than a pediatrician. Soreness is totally normal even with a good latch in the fist month or so. Are you sure the pain you're feeling isn't letdown?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:50 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I had to have a lactation consultant come, and she was AMAZING!!! I still (have a 4 wk old) have issues, but it is much better. It hurts at first, but then it stops. Part of it is the body adjusting to nursing, and the other may be that your child has a hard suck. Mine does. The pain for me was so bad at first with having to deal with the cracked, bleeding, scabbing nipples that I was about to give up. Let your nipples air dry as much as possible, try breast shells (medela makes a great kind) and use lasinoh SPARINGLY. It will help but if you use it tons, you will just be making your nipple skin "sappy" for lack of a better word.

I hope this helps!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 7:36 PM on May. 2, 2009