new baby

i had my baby 3 weeks early and stayed in the hospital with her for 3 days, then a couple days after we were home she got really bad jaundice and ended up back in the hospital. we have been scared to let anyone come around her. we have other children. she is 2 weeeks old, when do you think it is safe to take her out? i dont want to keep her in a bubble, but i dont want her to end up back in the hospital. people want to see her but i am a parinoid wreck. some advice please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• While I understand you're worried about exposing her, her being hospitalized because of jaundice doesn't make her any more prone to germs than if she hadn't been.

Jaundice is a fairly common condition among newborns...some babies just get it more severe than others.

You can take her outside, but I'd avoid overly crowded places. A really good way to avoid people getting in her face is to wear your baby....she's close to you, and she gets to go out, but people can't breathe all over her. (I don't know why people feel like they have to be thisclose to a newborn lol).
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:53 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Just like the post above says, jaundice is common in babies. I would take her out and avoid crowds. How is the weather where you are? Can you take for a walk in the stroller? A little fresh air would be great and just invite people to see her when you are comfortable with it.
    Jess1077

Answer by Jess1077 at 5:22 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Take her out. Go somewhere like a park and let her get some sunshiny fresh air. The sun helps with jaundice anyway. I wouldn't take her to a grocery store (grimy, germy carts) but I would get her out of the house, and yourself a little bit!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 6:27 PM on May. 2, 2009