those who don't offer milk, what do you do for calcium

I dont know if my son is allergic to dairy milk or not, because he's had a bad diaper rash. putting that aside I'd also like to experiement with other sources of calcium what do you offer? soy/rice/almond milk? if so, do you offer the same amt as you would dairy milk? or do you offer more vegetable servings? do you offer the daily amt (of calcium) needed? my son is one. I read that 1/2 a cup of yogurt is equal to 4oz of milk. but I obviously dont want to stuff my son with yogurt everyday, it sounds kinda pricey

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There's cheese. Green leafy vegetables I think have calcium too. Vitamin supplements. idk you could probably google it.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:51 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Greens, broccoli, there's a lot of vegetable options.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:53 PM on May. 2, 2009

• There are TONS of other ways to get calcium...milk really isn't as great a source of calcium as people think it is.

If your son is aged 2 or over, you can give him children's vitamin supplements. Leafy greens are a great source of calcium...a lot of cereals come fortified with calcium too. You just have to read labels.

If you're going to give him a cow's milk alternative (like soy, rice, or almond milk) just give him as much as you normally wouldn...no need to increase.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:57 PM on May. 2, 2009

• One of my twins is allergic to dairy so at a year we transitioned them both from formula to soy milk and they get the same amount as they would cow's milk: 16-24 oz a day. They also eat soy yogurt. Both of these are fortified with calcium, vitamin D and so on.
    I've always offered them a variety of healthy foods and at age 2 we started them on a daily multivitamin.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:34 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Our son stopped drinking milk for awhile, our doctor told us the best thing would be calcium fortified orange juice, try that. Good Luck!!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:42 PM on May. 2, 2009

• try goat milk it has less milk sugar or try lactose ( milk sugar ) free milk ( they should have it at whole foods ) milk is not just a matter of calcium but toddlers still need the fat .
    StellaBella2007

Answer by StellaBella2007 at 11:19 PM on May. 2, 2009