Do you offer dairy milk or different sources of calcium? piog

I dont know if my son is allergic to dairy milk or not, because he's had a bad diaper rash. putting that aside I'd also like to experiement with other sources of calcium what do you offer? soy/rice/almond milk? if so, do you offer the same amt as you would dairy milk? or do you offer more vegetable servings? do you offer the daily amt (of calcium) needed? my son is one. I read that 1/2 a cup of yogurt is equal to 4oz of milk. but I obviously dont want to stuff my son with yogurt everyday, it sounds kinda pricey

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son can't have any real dairy... even home made cookies with butter make him sick. Poor guy... but you can buy calcium fortified foods.... cereals, breads, some soy products. My son drinks Lactiad, and I can buy that calcium fortied. He also takes calcium enriched dialy vitamins. He drinks the Lactaid that same as an un-lactose intolerant child would. I cook with it, he gets it on his cereal, and he gets a glass with lunch, snack, and dinner. Sometimes I can trick him into having another glass if I make it chocolate milk even.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 5:29 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I do the toddler formula still and have been since he was 9 months old...I am weaning him off of that...I do cheese and yogurt for dairy and sometimes cottage cheese. also I give my son brown rice milk...def. NO soy milk! and he takes all his vitamins.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 5:32 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Since your son is only 1 year old I would recommend him having allergy testing done first. This way you know if you are dealing with a true allergy or an intolerance. Also I am just not sure if you would need some other source of "fat," since usually at age 1 they are drinking whole milk.

My son was 5 when he was dx with food allergies so it's different. Getting calcium through other sources is easy. We do rice milk for cereal, chocolate almond milk on occasion for snacks, fortified OJ, green veggies, etc...Even some juices now have calcium.

My children also take a daily calcium vitamin. Like a pp mentioned we are not huge soy fans here so we don't drink it.

Also you mentioned yogurt, but that is made from dairy. Unless you get him soy yogurt ( which we don't buy) or coconut yogurt then he could not eat the regular kind if he had a true allergy.

Good luck and I hope something I added helps.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 7:37 PM on May. 2, 2009

• my son eats yougart 4 4-oz cups a day and no milk.
    Anonymous

• We use minimal animal products. We usually have a fortified soy, rice or hemp milk around. Mostly, we eat lots of plant based calcium like tofu stir-fries and smoothies with kale. Great information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    Feel free to contact me directly with questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:41 AM on May. 3, 2009

• A child does not have to drink milk or get fat from the milk to grow and get the nutrients they need. My son was on 2% milk at 8 months and skim by the time he was 5 yrs old. He never really drank a glass of milk after he got off the bottle. His pediatrician said that as long as he was getting fats and calcium from other sources he would be fine. He ate yogurt, cheese, pudding, orange juice with added calcium. I am lacotse intolerant and I use Deans Free milk, it is lactose free. It doesn't taste any different from regular milk, We also drink Chocolate Silk, which is soy chocolate milk. You can get cheese made from veggies, tofu, rice and soy. I have had veggie cheese and never knew it wasn't regular cheese until my friend told me what it was. I would have him tested before making diet changes or atleast talk to his pediatrician first.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:14 PM on May. 3, 2009