Is co-sleeping illegal?

I supervise my sisters visits with her son, who was unjustly taken from her because she took headache medicine, well anyways her CPS worker keeps asking me about my daughter and where she sleeps and it makes me nervous. is it illegal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, not at all.
    Anonymous

• No. Your sister's CPS worker has absolutely NO right to question you about your daughter.
    Anonymous

• No its not but I have recently heard about parents being prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter because they rolled over on thier kid, honestly this might sound weird but Id tell her that you co sleep but you have one of those things you push by the bed but its not actually in your bed unfortunately there are some in the system who can find ways to make legal things seems neglectful
    Anonymous

• Not illegal till you kill someone!
    Anonymous

• Anon 5:02, you are right about that. This has happened to my family....my uncle accidently rolled over on his newborn daughter and smothered her to death. He's never been right since.

This is another reason I won't co-sleep, among others.

CPS, unfortunately, can take small, insignificant things and make a really huge deal out of them, making it seem like something its not. But if she's not investigating you, then you don't have to answer any questions she asks you.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 5:05 PM on May. 2, 2009

• at a certain age there are restictions that boys and girls need be be in different rooms
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:07 PM on May. 2, 2009

• op here!

I have her crib up against my bed with the side off and our mattress level to hers at the lowest setting. That is where she sleeps but I still consider it co-sleeping. I am more aware of her when she is next to me, I have always been a light sleeper.
    Anonymous

• ???? I thought you were talking about your sister and her son?

Co sleeping is legal, but I would think the reason they are questioning you is to see if the child has his/her own space. How old is the child?
    Anonymous

• Sorry about your uncle peaches,I never co slept either,unless they were sick,but I see nothing wrong with it,defintly not illegal.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 5:36 PM on May. 2, 2009

• first of all..100% LEGAL! second. it is because you are supervising the visits that COS is asking about where your daughter sleeps. I am sure if you explain to the lady how you co-sleep she will agree 100% however. I am involved in a "family help" program, a person from the organization comes to my home, and we talk about my DD(who I am 6 months pregnant with) and things associated with pregnancy and babies. the program my "mentor" is from STRONGLY DISCOURAGES co-sleeping because it is "horribly dangerous" I just laughed and told her studies PROVE that co-sleeping is just as safe(if not safer!) just tell them the lady how you are doing though:) she probably wont even consider it co-sleeping:)
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 5:41 PM on May. 2, 2009