does it make me a bad mom to try giving my daughter formula?

I breastfeed, but when i have to have a sitter ( my mom) ill pump, but i always get nervous and think "what if i didnt pump enough and she gets hungry while im gone?"

so is it bad to try and give her formula so if it is needed, she is used to it????

does that make me a bad mom? i feel ....guilty

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't feel guilty, there is nothing wrong with doing that. Especially if you're worried she's not getting enough.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:38 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Uhhhhhhhhh No. I think you have been brainwashed by the whole big "Breastfeeding" thingy. Do whatever you want, just feed your kid. Good Lord, this stuff is just ridiculous. When my grandbaby was born she didn't eat for four days.> FOUR DAYS! The Nurses said, Oh, just hold on, wait.. etc... Turns out my daughter was not producing near enough milk. Can you imagine, letting the poor baby die rather than feed her formula... Trust me, when I got done with those breastfeeding brainwashers they were lucky to still be standing. The truth of the matter is this: I had one child that breastfed and one that didn't... Both have allergies.. EQUALLY. Both have sickness EQUALLY. Nothing different.. No one is healthier. It's all BS! Just feed your child.
    Anonymous

• no, you're not a bad mom...don't think that. if you're worried about supply, it only makes sense what you're doing is right.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I exclusively formula fed from the time my son was 10 days old til he was on whole milk. There is absolutely nothing wrong supplimenting with formula. You are being a good mom by ensuring your precious baby as enough to eat while your working.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 5:42 PM on May. 2, 2009

• dont feel guilty! if you'll only be gone a few hours, and she isnt a newborn (at which age they will be hungry quite often), maybe she'll be just fine. or if you pump "enough" you could mix it with the formula to put your mind at ease! if she's had a bottle before and you've had no problems with supply, offering formula will be fine!
    Anonymous

• there's nothing wrong with formula... a former friend of mine looked down on me because I gave my daughter formula.... although she ate only a half a sandwich a day to stay skinny while breastfeeding... not much nutrition going that route if you ask me. Moms that choose not to breastfeed are treated like crap alot of the time regardless of their reasons for not. You're the mom don't feel guilty.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 5:44 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You are a great mom,for worrying ,that your baby will have enough to eat.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 5:45 PM on May. 2, 2009

• of course not. Nothing wrong with formula.
    munchkinaplenty

Answer by munchkinaplenty at 5:48 PM on May. 2, 2009

• no, thats not wrong. I strongly encourage you to breastfeed, but I think it is wise to keep a thing of formula in your diaper bag in case your sitter runs out, or something happens to the breast milk.... My friend was watching one of my kids when they were about 6 mo, and still bf.... and she accidently spilt the breastmilk. SHe didn't have anything eles to give him and I was in the movie with my phone turned off. She feed him rice cereal.. but it was a misrable couple hours for the both of them.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:48 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about not pumping enough unless she is less then 3-4 months old. If you are only gone for a couple hours then LO can eat what was pumped and wait a little bit until you get home. You are not a bad mom for worrying though, but personally I wouldn't worry about it and would not give the formula for that reason only, not because the formula is "bad".
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:03 PM on May. 2, 2009