at how many months should your baby start on baby food or cereal?

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cereal I don't recommend unless your family has very high rates of allergies, generally ist worthless, the iron is badly absorbed, and it lacks most other other nutrients.

Solids in general wait til 6 months, and go slowly then. BF babies can go til 12 months with no solids so they should only be about 25% of their diet before then and should never start before 6 months.

Heres a great article about it

YES kids can be ok with starting earlier, but studies have shown its best in the long run to wait longer than the old 4-6 months or even a few weeks like they told my mom for me. Digestive and allergy issues over the years have risen and they think much of this was becuase of starting solids too early.

If we can do the best for our kids with little to no more holding off on solids why not, right?

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:01 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My baby's 5-months and her pedi. gave the ok at her last check up. We give her the rice cereal and mix it with formula or juice, she likes it and so far no problems.

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:07 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Try at 5 or 6 months. Up until then they really don't need anything other then the boob or formula.

Answer by MomShawn70 at 6:15 PM on May. 2, 2009

• IMO no sooner then 6 mos, and I do agree that cereal is junk. It's better to just use purred fruits and veggies?

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:23 PM on May. 2, 2009

• dd was on ceral at 3 mos and solids at 4 pedi reccommended it

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• none really. Solid feeding before the first year is for experimentation and play, not nutrition. So there's no age when they "should" be on them. Every health organization will tell you to wait for AT LEAST 6 months. Waiting longer -like 9 months- is healthier and safer. You can skip the purees and go to safe finger foods when baby has a few teeth. My DD didn't start solids til 10 months. I'd never use cereal.

Answer by jus1jess at 6:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• WIC suggest 1-2 Tbsp infant cereal at 4-5 months for the second feeding of the day and the second to last feeding and then at at 5-6 months keep the feedings the same and just add 1-2 Tbsp of fruit or veggies. And thats what i did for my son and my ped. said that was fine.

Answer by nkezele86 at 7:31 PM on May. 2, 2009