WHY do restaurants serve kids meals so HOT???

Seriously dude. It's for a kid. What's the deal?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 6:05 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It's the plates that are the problem. More to the point - if you have to use a mini-potholder just to carry the thing and give the "careful it's hot" warning before you even reach over the table, WHY ON EARTH are you putting the plate down 2" from my kid's bare arm? Especially when the whole center of the table over a foot away from him is totally empty?

The food is rarely too hot for him to eat, it's the plates that are too hot to let near him that make him have to wait. And the plopping it down right on top of him has lowered the servers' tips more often than they probably realize.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:05 AM on May. 3, 2009

• If it's something they have to cook it HAS to be up to temp. code in order for it to be ok for them to serve it (bacteria and all that). If they let it cool down before taking it out and the Health Dept. happened to pay a visit and took a temp. they could violate the restaurant for that.
    Anonymous

• you should ask them to bring it out immediately when its done, that way it doesn't sit in the window (kids meals normally don't take as long as adult meals so they get put under a heating lamp til the rest of the tables food is ready) that way the plate doesn't get really hot and you can let it cool off while waiting on your food
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:11 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Um because it would be really unsafe to serve it chilled. They have to make sure it is completely cooked so it won't be undercooked.
    Anonymous

• You can order kids meals first and while yours is cooking you can cut it up and let it cool and then by the time your's gets there it's cool enough. From working in Food Service for 6 years, everyone here is right about the temp. It has to be a certian temp, to make sure it's done and so everything is safe to eat
    Holly126

Answer by Holly126 at 9:15 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree about not letting it sit under the lamps for so long . . that's when the plates get super hot.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:06 AM on May. 3, 2009

• yeah I guess it's the plate that really drives me nuts. The last time this happened the server did just that - plopped it down with a potholder and told us to be careful. I asked him why it was so hot and he said the plates are heated up before the food is put on them!!! I asked, well, why don't you put the KIDS meals on REGULAR plates, not piping hot ones????? (his answer was idk, of course).
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 7:49 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Yeah one day I was at a restaurant and they brought my son's food out last. I literally had to wait 15 minutes to give it to him b/c the food was SOOO hot. By the time his food cooled down enough to eat, we were all ready done eating. I was so pissed.
    AlyssaH87

Answer by AlyssaH87 at 7:59 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Well, if you ask for the kids food to come out first, it will literally come out the moment it comes off the fryer or grill. If it comes with the rest of your food, odds are it sat in the window and waited. Any server with half a brain will change out the plate, but some of them lack brains.

At that point I just ask for a cool plate.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:11 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Because food has to be served at a certain temperature in restuarants to prevent food poisoning. I solved it being too hot by blowing on the food and cutting it into smaller pieces.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:46 PM on May. 3, 2009