how do i deal with a child who has anger issues when he gets in trouble or corrected?

bigbabysmama

Asked by bigbabysmama at 6:19 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• how does he react when he is in trouble?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:21 PM on May. 2, 2009

• he has adhd and he takes medication. some times he seems really ill with the medication ya know. but when i try to correct him from doing wrong he gets really mouthy and he yells or stomps his feet, or slams things and he will yell at his little brother.
    bigbabysmama

Answer by bigbabysmama at 6:28 PM on May. 2, 2009

• it sounds like he needs to be taught how to express his anger w/o hurting someone else (emotionally i mean). maybe tell him its ok to scream but he has to do it in his room into a pillow. or he can hit a pillow in his room but can't throw things or stomp his feet. that way he still gets to vent his anger, but it is in a more controlled form
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:47 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Anger Management classes. Behavior therapy so he can learn to deal with his emotions. My son is ADHD, takes meds, had anger issues and I took him to counseling and it made a hige difference. Also, the meds may be making him angry. My son was when he was on Adderal. The doc switched him to Vyvanse and he is a totally different kid, less side affects too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:42 PM on May. 3, 2009

• My son also has adhd. I have had many problems with him in the past and probably many more to come. I have had him put on pills and everything he was prescribed made him terribly sick or just completely out of it. I went with alternatives. I did some research (lots of research) and I also went down to the local viggs. The people there were very helpful. They suggested a all natural pill called pedia calm. This is supposed to help with kids who have adhd without the side-effects from a Rx. I strongly recommend this. If you do not have a viggs you can get this at any local produce market where they sell all natural pills. Whenever your child is acting out send him to a time out till he calms down. Then he has time to think about the situation before it really gets out of control. I know this is a hard task to accomplish just keep at it and never give up. Always show your child appreciation for anything no matter how small.

MistySydenham

Answer by MistySydenham at 5:10 PM on May. 8, 2009