can you opt to get induced?

my moms birthday is the 11th of august and my due date is the 19th of august, this is my first baby and i was wondering if there is nothing wrong with my pregnancy can i request to be induced earlier?

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 6:21 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can ask of course, but its up to the dr to actually do it.
    Anonymous

• you can ask and it'll be up to your doc, but normally they won't do it early unless there is a problem. i wouldn't do it personally, i was induced w/my first at 38 weeks and since i hadn't already started to dilate or efface more than 1 and about 20% it didn't work, i had contractions for 3 days before i had to have a c-section, once they start the induction they won't send you home and you are not allowed out of bed and are put on a liquid diet. i will never ever let anyone induce me again the experience was a horrible one for me
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:24 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i was induced and it wasnt horrible at all. i did end up having a c section but that was because the cord was around my daughters neck bad. but my experience with it was fine not a bad one at all....

i was only induced because i was overdue....and hadnt dilated at ALL and hadnt effaced at ALL either..

you can ask but its really up to the doctor to do it or not.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:27 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Sure but if your doctor is a GOOD doctor he or she will refuse because it's unethical and there is not reason for putting you and your baby at risk for no reason. Medical inductions are one thing but even the ACOG says that NO DOCTOR should EVER induce a women without a medical reason.

PLEASE do your research on induction and the risk before putting you or your baby through one!
    Anonymous

• I almost died because of my induction. They used Cytotec and Pitocin on me. Cytotec is NOT FDA approved for use on pregnant women and Pit warns that women can bleed out. I almost bled to death and have perminant uteran damage.

Don't do it if you don't have to.
    Anonymous

• i agree to not do it unless you have to....

id rather have gone into labor naturally.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:34 PM on May. 2, 2009

• don't ask to get induced... augmented labor is extremely painful and if your body isn't ready, you may need a c-section... you may get lucky and have your baby on your mom's bday or you may be past your due date...either way, a grandkid will still be a nice present for your mom's bday whether it comes earlier or later.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Hi, Normally doctors tell you if inducing is necessary. In my case, i was suggested to get induced because my baby didn;t arrive on time. One of the reasons inducing is required if the baby passed his due date, apparently it's not good to pass 40 weeks. So i'd suggest ask your doctor first. But remember you want your baby to have full term.

Tsegi

Answer by Tsegi at 7:01 PM on May. 2, 2009

• It's FINE to go pass 40 weeks. Your not technically over due until AFTER 42 weeks and as long as your fluid levels are fine and the placenta isn't calcifying you can continue even longer.
    Anonymous

• depends on your doctor. and how tired he/she is of you asking when you can be induced. i bothered my doctor constantly and finally he agreed. the baby wasnt growing anymore (could tell by weekly ultrasounds) and everything was considered fully developed.
    Anonymous