How do you explain protestors to your children?

My best friend and I took our children (6, 3, 19 months and 8 months) to an event today that was being protested by a local Christian group. When faces with protesters how do you explain them, their actions and their anger/hatred to your children?

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 6:49 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What event was it.?
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 6:52 PM on May. 2, 2009

• With the truth.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 6:53 PM on May. 2, 2009

• WOW! my dear I am sorry ... I have never had to deal with something like protesters against children...
    The older children I would just tell them that these people are simply angry bc you believe differently and that they like to show it thru hate.... and let them know that they are (your children) not wrong for believing in what they do nor are the protesters, they (protesters) just don't know how to be nicer about it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:54 PM on May. 2, 2009

• anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:54 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I think I would take the approach that sometimes people don't take the time to understand things that are different from their beliefs. When people don't understand something it can be scary to them and sometimes they react by getting angry etc. This is not something I've had to deal with yet, but I think that's along the lines of how I would begin that sort of discussion in simple terms that a child can understand and relate to.
    Anonymous

• Catholic churches are often the target of protestors. I just tell my children we need to pray for them.
    Anonymous

• If you are in America, just explain this is our right as American citizens. Whats the big deal? you go to a controversial event expect it!!! it is the American way!
    Anonymous

• I'd (try to) see it as an excellent opportunity to share our freedom of speech with my child. Something like, "Those people think what we are doing is wrong, but we believe it's good. Because of the freedom EVERYONE in this country has, they can tell us they don't like it, but we can still do it." This is also a great lead-in to discuss why you believe what you do (vs. what the protesters believe) and how it's important to not stop doing something just because other people don't like it.
    Mrs.Soule

Answer by Mrs.Soule at 6:59 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I tell them that they're grown-ups acting just the way the kids do when they don't get what they want.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:00 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Anon 6:58... Get a Freakin Life will you.... these were children .... not adults...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:00 PM on May. 2, 2009