Does the term "illegitamate child" bother you when used to refer a child born outside of marriage?

My younger sister (20) reffered to my children this way today and i got really upset at her.. my children are NOT illegitamate.. NO CHILDREN are! This term REALLY bothers me, my children are special people, convieved and born in love very mcuh wanted so what if i am not married to their father? Even "oopsie " kids are not illigitamate in my opinion, just wondering what others think about this term. Am I the only one offended by it?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 6:52 PM on May. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hate it too. I think it is an awful term.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 6:52 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I agree I think it sounds like and attack on the child and mother. And I don't see how it would come up in a conversation unless your sister was saying it to be rude in the first place.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 6:55 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i dont think too much about it, like 'mistakes' or 'accidents' a lot of mothers get their panties in a bunch over it but to me its not a big enough deal to even think about. shit happens and 'mistakes' and 'accidents' sometimes turn into beautiful things, like you walk into the wrong building and meet your soulmate, it was a mistake going into the building but it was destiny. it was an accident that the condom fell off but it was destiny. i hope i make sense!
    Anonymous

• She was... I asked her an opinion on a name and she was busy but instead of telling me she didnt want to talk right now she attcak my kids
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 6:56 PM on May. 2, 2009

• In all honesty, I can think of things that one would have more reason to be offended. Bastard is one of them, and illegitimate sounds a hell of a lot better than that.

I'm not meaning to sound as if I'm taking your feelings lightly, but I am saying that everything offends someone, no matter how you word it.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 7:12 PM on May. 2, 2009

• The ones it hurts the most are the children, and you know that no matter what they hear this kinda of stuff, and its sad. I don't think your over reacting at all, I would come un-glued if someone tried to say that or anything else about my children what gives them the right to say anything?!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 7:17 PM on May. 2, 2009

• yes i would never refer to a child as a 'mistake'
    Anonymous

• I call my grandkids bastards...because they all are. They are born out of wedlock. That's a fact. you did that. Not us so why would you be offended? You wanted it that way. You put that label on your children's heads. We are the ones offended.
    Anonymous

• Illegitimate:

Main Entry: il·le·git·i·mat..........Function: adjective..........Date: 1536

1: not recognized as lawful offspring ;specifically : born of parents not married to each other s..........2: not rightly deduced or inferred : illogical..........3: departing from the regular : erratic4 a: not sanctioned by law : illegal b: not authorized by good usage cof a taxon : published but not in accordance with the rules of the relevant international code

EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:38 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i think shes more mad that her sister said that to hurt her feelings. at least i would be
    Anonymous