does anyone worry that if there baby doesnt sleep he/she will have developmental issues?

my son will soon b 6months, and he just hates to sleep. i have become a prisoner to help him sleep better...but nothing seems to be working. i am left very tired, fusturated and cranky. all he seems to want to do is breastfeed. so all i seem to do is comfort him at the breast. i am starting to get the feeling that breastfed babies dont seem to sleep very much. and if i hear one more time "give him some pablum, he will sleep through the night" i am going to sream. can anyone out there relate to this at all??

mom2sweetestboy

Asked by mom2sweetestboy at 7:34 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was like that, but like the previous reply, it stopped soon after he was 7 months.  He was not delayed at all in his development.  His sleep improved gradually as he mastered each new physical milestone.  For example, crawling meant 30-minute naps instead of 15-20.  Cruising meant 40-45 minute naps.  Once he started walking and then running by 11 months, he started napping 60-75 minutes.  His nighttime sleep also improved gradually during this time and we were also slowly introducing solids.  His first birthday will be here in the blink of an eye and you'll wake up one day and realize how much has improved.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 9:24 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Have you tried cosleeping?
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 7:55 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I can feel for you. My ds had colic from birth and we found out that if I had any milk in my diet, even in bread, it would upset his tummy. Once we figured that out it was all good until he was 3 months. He started teething. My Dr. said no way he's only three months but low and behold at 5 months he got his first tooth with the next one two weeks later. The only thing that helped him through all of that was nursing. He would nurse for half an hour and then be ready to go again after an hour and a half. He did this for the first 4 months around the clock. We did co-sleep otherwise I wouldn't have gotten any sleep.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:07 PM on May. 2, 2009

• mine barely slept til 7 months, and now at almost 10 months he is walking. i don't think it will have any horrible effects.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Never had that worry. They sleep as much as they need to.

What worked here>? I let him sleep when he wanted and stopped being a slave to trying to get him to sleep. Remarkably freeing and you know what? When I stopped getting in the middle of it...he slept better.

Back off. Follow HIS cues. He'll sleep more when he's ready to so stop worrying about it, OK?

Answer by gdiamante at 10:54 PM on May. 2, 2009