Does anyone have any experience with DUI?

I have been charged with misdemeanor DUI and my court date is finally coming up. What can I expect? I've also been doing some research online, but can't find a personal testimony really. I'm going to have to ask for a public defender, do they do a good job? I'm sort of scared, things aren't going so well for our family (financially and with this hanging over my head), I just want to get this over with and move on. So please, if you or a loved one have had this, can you let me know a little what to expect? BTW this is in just for fun because I don't know where the heck else to put it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my father..... he had to go to AA and also out patient rehab for a year to get his license back.... er well i think the outpatient program he went to is only 8 months but he needed a certain number of AA meetings
    Anonymous

• Several people close to me were charged with DUI. All I know is that they had to attend counseling and do community service. It was their first offense and thankfully their last. They learned the hard way.
    Anonymous

• yes my father had a choice, either house arrest for 9 days or three weekends of community service for 8 hours each weekend day! he choose community service
    Anonymous

• umm question if things are financially hard on you then why drink and drive in the first place knowing that you could get caught. HELLO
    Anonymous

• oh 2nd anon :39, shit happens. i mean my father was an alcoholic thats why he got caught but some people dont realize that they are over the legal limit until they get pulled over! like the commercial says 'buzzed driving is still drunk driving!'

im not condoning drunk driving i wish people wouldnt but it does happen and at least a DUI is the worst thing that happened and not an accident!
    Anonymous

• It will depend on where you are, and what the laws say. In some states, there is a mandatory minimum jail sentence. In others, you can get a deferred sentence, meaning you promise to behave, comply with the terms of yoru probation, and will not have any, and I do mean ANY, other run ins with the law, then your charge will be dismissed. Deferred prosecutions are usually offered only one time per person, regardless of the offense.

Often, the prosecution will offer to reduce your sentence so that it doesn't show up as a DUI-- i.e. negligent driving. However, that does not mean that the DOL hasn't found you risky, and they will often suspend your sentence for a finitie period of time.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:09 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I used to work with a DUI provider. She was the counciler the offendor had to see in order to get their license back.
    Alot of things depend on what state you got your DUI in. My advice to you is, if you are guilty, just plead guilty. A public defender will just draw out the inevitable.
    If you plead guilty, you will lose your license. In Kentucky you can lose your license anywhere between 30 days and 180 days. This gives a person time to complete the necessary classes needed to get the license back. If you need to drive, you can get what is called a hardship license and still be able to drive to specific places. i.e. work, day care, DUI classes. You can't drive just anywhere. You will probably have to pay a fine. My husband's was $500 and my brother's was $890.
    I have a lot more advice. If you have any questions, just let me know.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:23 PM on May. 2, 2009

• yes and it sucked. if this is your first offense, worst case scenerio: you might get jail time (might just be a weekend) community service, dui school, and probation. not all judges order everything to be done, it depends on your cooperation with the police, how high your blood alcohol level was, if you were also charged with speeding/weaving, and also depends on the location... etc. but you might just get community service and probation. a public offender will reduce your sentence, especially if they are well respected and know what they are doing! GL
    Anonymous