What is happening in this place we called home....

Well I like to think that I am a well rounded person and I will help anyone that I possible can. In our kneck of the woods we have homeless people that are pan handlers and on occasion I am known to be generous, I have even went as fas as to bring food to the river bottoms when they need supplies. Today was the ultimate saddest thing I have ever seen, yet I did nothing. Now I've seen a lot on the different signs they hold and the veterians really tug my heart strings..but today I saw a young man holding a sign that read "LOST MY JOB NEED FORMULA AND DIAPERS" we were on a busy road and we went by real fast I knew that we would be going back in a bit so we just kept going. Well when we went back he was gone now I sit here heart broken to think that possible their might be a baby out there without food! =( Has this happened to anyone else or am I just a dope?!

Mommy2seven

Asked by Mommy2seven at 8:24 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• dont be too hard on your self
    a lot of people who hold the sighns are not really homeless or poor, and they also know what pulls at our heart strings
    she may have been for feal, but dont beat your self up over it
    that being siad before anyone bashes me i go in to dc and feed the homeless everyweek and buy thinh=gs needed like jackets ect, but from that i have learned a lot about the real and the fake
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:25 PM on May. 2, 2009

• we all do this...it is just so sad! so many people need help! God Bless! At least you care enough to post it!!!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 8:31 PM on May. 2, 2009

• aaww thanks hun... I just look at my children and wonder what I'd do if we were in that situation... especially the way the economy is right now.. it is very sad =(
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 8:32 PM on May. 2, 2009

• That's tough.... I very rarely see pan handlers where I live, so I haven't had that dilemma before. I don't think I could give some one money because I would be thinking they would spend it on drugs or booze. But.... if someone was asking for formula and diapers, I would probably get them a whole box of diapers and at least a few can of formula. What ever I could afford to buy them, I would....

I believe that everything happens for a reason.... and there was a reason that he wasn't there when you went back by that spot. Hopefully, someone else was able to help him out and bless his baby with some diapers and some formula.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:34 PM on May. 2, 2009

• VeronicaLee.... I am so hoping you are right! My husband said the same exact thing! He always tries to steer me away from people that are pan handling cause I always tell him to give them his change lol.. and he is like I save that for the machines at work and he ends up giving them some paper money, this is just when we don't have time to stop and chat with them and go get the main things they need. We are in a very small area but seem to have a large number of homeless people.. its really a sad thing.. and there are some that I know for a fact that use the money for medicine and not the other its the ones that I don't reconize that I'm leery of.. thanks again hun!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 8:39 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I see the odd person standing with signs where i live too. This one day i saw a lady standing at the lights with a sign that read, I have 2 kids and need food. And i felt so bad but at the same time i thought ok, she is smoking a cigarette at the same time, she can afford smokes but not food for her kids. (I am by all means not bashing smokers as i am an X-smoker myself.) Some of the people i do see downtown sitting there that sing and play guitars for money, some i can see need the money and we drop in some change when we can.
    LilStar9905

Answer by LilStar9905 at 11:41 PM on May. 2, 2009

• mommymeg03...I would not bash you, we all do our part I was just blown away with seeing that sign .. NEED FORMULA ANS DIAPERS.. you know either that person was really low to lie about somthing like that or he was at his absolute worst and had nothing else he could do?? and I totally understand about many being fake.. seen my fair share..its just sad and I can't get the vision of a hungry baby out of my head ugh..

LilStar9905... my friend =).... I totally understand the smoking part.. I feel the exact same way!! and I will not give money to those that I see smoking which is like 75% of them..

thank you both for you comments!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 12:42 AM on May. 3, 2009