do all children do this?

my son is SO mechanically smart, he puts things together like holes in pegs and stuff. hes only one. his father is a mechanic so thats sort of what he does for a living, fits things together. just wondering if my son got his fathers brain or if all babies do this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think genetics certainly do play a part in talents like that. One of my twins is very curious about things, how they work, and loves to take stuff apart/put it back together (Dad is a chem eng. and was like that as a child also). Leave it to my son to find a loose screw somewhere and things of that nature and he'll either take it apart and bring it to me or fix it himself (He's 21/2).

That said, there are definitely gross/fine motor skills to be met and babies are supposed to be able to do things like put a peg in a hole by a certain age (I think before age 1 to some degree).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:51 PM on May. 2, 2009

• thanks twinclubmom! i wasnt sure and didnt want to be one of those moms where EVERYTHING their child did was SO advanced you know?
    Anonymous

• my son got a fisher price workbench for his 1st birthday and he loves banging on that thing! he hasnt quite mastered sticking the play nails and screws in the holes, but after showing him an example he kinda has the idea! as anon said, genetics definately play a part! my son hands me stuff if I ask "what is that?" otherwise it's in his mouth lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:06 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My little boy is puzzle and fit things together obsessed. My pedi said that it more common for little boys to show this behavior than little girls. But I absolutely bet you DS gets some of his abilities from his daddy's genetics, I bet.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:35 PM on May. 2, 2009