I am breastfeeding, my son is 4 months old, he is still up every 3 hours like clockwork to eat....I am curious if other breastfeeding mothers got more sleep and when it happened for them?

We started cereal at 14 weeks and have introduced some solid foods (sweet potato, banana, avocado) and feed him in the evening, but that doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. He is a big baby 99% for height and weight, so am thinking he needs more calories to feel satieted and I know breast milk digests faster, but I am so tired every day, it's affecting everything about me!

bigbabymomma

Asked by bigbabymomma at 8:53 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As you've found, what you feed him has NO effect on sleep patterns. This is just an old wives tale passed down from desperate mom to desperate mom. Sorry.

My daughter was formula fed and was started on ceral early for reflux - she didn't sleep all night until 10 months old, did it once, and didn't do it again until 14 months.
    A friend's baby was breastfed and slept from bedtime to morning at 6 weeks old.

Here are the general guidelines for "sleeping all night":
    5 hours in a row usually happens by 6 months (the official definition of "all night")
    8 hours in a row usually happends by 9 months.
    Bedtime to morning happens after 12 months. Some are still waking at least once a night after 24 months - long after they were weaned and are now eating dinner with the family.

Sorry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:58 PM on May. 2, 2009

• ask your doctor for tips on how to feed and sleep..its ok and trust me...its safe...plus you get a little nap at the same time
    juliesmommy823

Answer by juliesmommy823 at 9:13 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Can you try patting his back or letting someone else try to rock him to sleep (not you, he will know it is you and insist on the breast!). Also have you tried letting him cry and see if he falls back to sleep. I am ONLY talking about a minute or two!! I never let my kids fuss much as infants, but sometimes they would wake, fuss for a minute, and go back to sleep. My oldest was huge and always growing. Tall not fat. He was drinking 8-12 ounces when most kids only drank 6. I started giving him a bottle of formula or pumped breastmilk at night, after I nursed him. He would nurse and empty me, then finish off an 8 oz bottle. He started sleeping 8 hours!! Poor kid was just hungry. He did that to me again at 12 months and I started feeding him until he stopped eating. He would eat as much food as me and then sleep through the night! Those are all my suggestions. I hope something works, otherwise, this will pass eventually!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:19 PM on May. 2, 2009

• The solids are probably making him wake more. Back off, OK?

But as to "more sleep...." heh heh heh. I'll give you my mother's wisdom.

You get that when you die. Because it will forever be SOMETHING keeping you awake, even when the kids are grown and gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:49 PM on May. 2, 2009