Evening Primrose oil

Has anyone had success in taking Evening Primrose Oil 4-6 times daily after 38 weeks that helped the cervix ripen and dilate where they were having issues before? This was suggested to me; to take the primrose 4-6 times daily orally and then insert a capsule into the vagina before bed and allow it to dissolve while I sleep and hopefully over the course of a week my cervix should have started to ripen and dilate. My cervix is still 5 cm long and hard. The doctor was not overly concerned at my last apt for 37 weeks but as I would rather not have to be induced or go past my due date I am wondering if anyone found this to be effective or if its just like having sex and any other wives tale; just chance.

mothergibson

Asked by mothergibson at 8:55 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't know. I was told to take 1500 mg a day...don't know how many capsules that is yet...since, I'm actually going to buy that tonight and start taking that tomorrow at the start of my 36th week...that is what my Nurse-Midwife, Doula, Hypno-Birthing Therapist and Acupuncturist said is OK to do. They didn't tell me to insert it in vagina, they said it can be used for lubricant when doing a perenium massage. I'm trying a VBAC this time, so I definitely want my body to go into labor on it's own this time.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:51 PM on May. 2, 2009

• no it just made my vagina smell bleh
    Anonymous

• sorry didnt read the whole question! i took 2 orally and 2 vaginally but the 2 vaginally made me smell so i just took them orally after that but i still went 12 days overdue :]
    Anonymous

• Well this is my first vaginal birth and well i have to start taking them as well
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 9:01 PM on May. 2, 2009