How do moms with babies get anything accomplished??

Everyday is consumed with taking care of my four month old. I hardly get any housework done anymore, running any errands turns into an all day event, just doing hair and make up is now something I hardly do. If I want to use the bathroom or shower I have to wait until my husband gets home so I can. How does anyone ever get anything accomplished when they have a little baby? I am not the type to leave him to scream so I can go do something, I would never do that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Welcome to motherhood. Remember what it was like when you got your first full-time job? How when the excitement of being an adult wore off you realized you had so little time to do fun, leisurely things? Well motherhood is like that, but times ten. Now you don't have the holidays, weekends, and evenings to yourself. You are a full time mom.

Your son sounds a lot like my first. He had (still does) a difficult temperment. It is who he is. Trying to "train" or "not spoil" your baby will do no good. You know your baby best, you know what is right. I understand the thought process of "don't spoil your baby" because now my second is sooo easy. Moms who never dealt with a "difficult" temperment child truly don't understand what it is like to raise one. Do what you know is best.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 11:38 PM on May. 2, 2009

• well you have to get into a routine. and you don't have to leave baby to scream. my son used to love sitting in a bouncer. it was the aquarium themed bouncer. and i used to let him walk around in the walker. when i had to clean the kitchen or do dishes, or clean the living room, i would pull out the high chair and let him play with toys. i had a high chair that had a reclining seat so he wasn't uncomfortable. when you have to go to the bathroom, take the bouncer or walker. as for the part about taking a shower, i would take my son, put him in the bouncer, wash my hair by leaning over the tub and putting my head under the faucet then i would take a bath. and sometimes i put him in the bathtub with me. even though your baby is the center of your world, as he should be, baby shouldnt control your life. my mama always told me i had to PUT THE BABY DOWN. best advice she ever gave me. i felt the same way you do. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:10 PM on May. 2, 2009

• OP here- We have an exersaucer, swing, bouncy seat, tummy play mat, and probably something else I am forgetting. But he will only be happy in those for a few minutes at a time. Like maybe 4 minutes. As soon as I start washing one dish he starts to scream. As for the shower our bathroom is tiny. The bouncy seat is the only thing that fits in there, but it takes up almost the entire floor so I have no where to walk. I have tried slings and front pack carriers but it is the same thing. He starts kicking and screaming soon after being put in them. He seems very uncomfortable. He takes like 3 short naps a day and during those naps I just wanna lay down and die myself. I really don't feel like cleaning in those few short moments.
    Anonymous

• A routine is only as good as your baby will allow it. I generally wait until my two month old is sleeping before I start to clean. Sometimes the house looks like hell, but what can I do? I also have my preschoolers help clean the house. They can pick up things. I have to be very specific, but it does get clean. As fas as errands, I hate them. I generally wait for my husband to be home. I usually have to take all three kids to the grocery store. That turns into a 2 hour trip. My husband used to make fun of me, but he stopped after he went to the store with me once. He realized that it wasn't as easy as he thought. My best idea is to wait until some one can help you. If you know someone who has a free day, ask for some help, whether it's cleaning, watching the baby or running an errand. Hopefully you live close to some one who doesn't mind helping.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:30 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My son would not be put down for a minute without screaming.  He never slept alone more than 15 minutes during the newborn stage.  I discovered baby wearing when he was six weeks old and got an Ergo carrier.  He loved it and it gave me a great workout and both hands free.  I was able to tidy the house, vacuum, and it lifted up my mood to feel productive.  Around 4-5 months, he was ready to be worn on my back.  It made life so much easier and I even got all the beds made and laundry folded every day.  What a lifesaver.  My son is now over two years old, and I still put him on my back to get the house vacuumed.  Otherwise, he's climbing on it or trying to take it from me, lol.  continued ...

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 9:31 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I put his baby tub with hammock seat in my shower, sat down next to him and washed myself with the handheld shower thing. It took care of his bath at the same time. I never bothered with hair and makeup with a baby, lol, but it wouldn't have been a problem with him in the Ergo carrier.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 9:32 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Sometimes you can over stimulate a baby and make them fussy too. I have a 5yr old and a 3 month old and I don't take naps during the day. I get most of the cleaning done when they are napping. Besides that, I lay the little one in his play gym and sit and play with him while folding laundry or dusting the living room. Make up? Pfffttttt forget it! lol I don't even bother to wear make up when I'm not going to work.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:37 PM on May. 2, 2009

• it may take a little time but you have to wean your baby off of you..that might sound a little harsh but you will thank yourself later. there is a such thing as being too spoiled especially when a mom has a lot of other things to do like house work and maintaining yourself. i was never one to let my son cry and scream but i finally had to throw in the towel and give up.. i bought the baby einstein dvd's and i put him in his bouncer and let him watch that and OMG he was amazed. try that. if you cant get the dvd's try the noggin channel..that is a great channel for learning and creativity. my 3 year old and 18 month old love that. i don't let them watch it but maybe 3 hours a day. i don't let the tv replace me in other words. find something other than yourself to keep him entertained.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:46 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I feel the same way you do...SAHM have it hard. My husband always tells me that all he cares about is that our daughter is happy and taken care of...the house can wait. I can't get house work done til after 8 at night. SHE DOESN"T NAP!!!! When you figure it out share the wealth. Mines the same age and same issues. No relax time and lots of work to be done.
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 9:59 PM on May. 2, 2009

• when I wanted to take a shower or do some chores I sat/laid my son in the bouncer. he wasnt mobile enough to escape yet lol. I'd entertain him with songs or explain what I was doing or play peek-a-boo. I usually waited till SO got home from work too, but learned the bouncer was the easiest way at the time, to give me a bit of a break while keeping an eye on my son and not just leaving him in the room alone. and the house we lived in before was kinda small so if I did the dishes or whatever I'd always end up wake my son up. so getting things done while he was napping wasnt an option. as he got older I used the exersaucer. now he walks like crazy and he can entertain himself, or just hangs out and watches me! the living area of the new house is very open
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:02 PM on May. 2, 2009