I have a red itchy rash on both breasts! What could it be?

I am breastfeeding my 4 week old. This popped up about a week ago, I thought it was heat rash from constantly wearing a bra, so I have been going braless at night and it's not getting any better. Also, would I go to a regular doc, my ob/gyn, or talk to the pediatrician about possible thrush?

Nesa_Z

Asked by Nesa_Z at 9:14 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it a solid rash? Or is it in like "blooms", and is kind of blotchy? If it's kind of blotchy, it's probably a yeast infection, and you're going to need some cream. The stuff they sell over the counter, for vaginal yeast infections doesn't work, so call your doc. Probably your regular doctor, since when I mentioned it to my Gyno, she looked at me like... "Is this rash on your uterus??? No??? Then why are you asking me about it?" LOL actually she said it looked like a yeast infection, but suggested I see my regular doctor, because he'd have more experience with that kind of thing.
    judybant

Answer by judybant at 9:19 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Hm, I would suggest calling your obgyn for anything that happens if you are 4 weeks pp - even if s/he does tell you to call your regular doc, s/he sould (should) want to know. You can also talk to a lactation consultant - did you talk to one when you gave birth? That would be the best person to talk to, imho. It also sounded to me like a yeast infection but I don't know very much about this kind of thing at all.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:21 PM on May. 2, 2009

• are you running a fever, are your breast warm to the touch, do you have pain when you are breastfeeding, are they tender...if so you could have mastitis..even though it is an infection it is safe to breastfeed according to the mayo clinic website. not just my opinion...maintain your bf routine, drink plenty of fluids and see your doctor you may have to be put on an rx good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:34 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I had close to the same thing. Thrush can spread to the nipple and continue from there. Get some gentian violet. U have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. It's about 3 dollars. Put it on your nipple with a qtip. B careful it will dye everything purple so use a nursing pad to cover cloths. You can also use it in your babies mouth. Put it on your nipple and feed right after. It is safe. Or even take a small amount on the qtip and put it in the babies mouth. His/her mouth will be purple for about 2-3 days...it will fade. Good luck
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 9:49 PM on May. 2, 2009

• MAGGOTS
    Twinkiesmom001

Answer by Twinkiesmom001 at 12:05 AM on May. 3, 2009

• id talk to my doctor about it...we raise goats and when they get mastitis and it doesnt get treated it can cause permenant problems (kind of like a deformity) I dont know if its the same way with people I havent had mine yet (due the 14th now,originally the 7th) so I havent bothered asking about that kind of stuff (but I plan to at the hospital when I talk to lactation consultant) if its an infection of another kind ot could be potentially harmful to the baby so id refrain from breastfeeding until you see the doctor JUST in case (but at the same time the baby HAS to eat so it may be neccessary)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 1:08 AM on May. 3, 2009