No more bottles?

My daughter is 14 months old and up until a week ago, was taking 2-3 bottles a day (Enfamil Next Step) along with a sippy cup (7 oz) or two of water daily. She had a cold last week, was having some trouble breathing through her nose and started refusing her bottle. Now that she's over the cold, she won't take the bottle again. I'm concerned because she won't take anything but water from her sippy cup and it seems like a sudden change in the amount of nutrition and hydration. I'm calling the doctor Monday morning, but I could use some advice now. We didn't have a chance to change her over to milk in the bottle or get her used to liquids other than water in her sippy cup.

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 9:16 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you are giving her balanced meals and nutritional snacks, then you don't need to be concerned about how to replace the nutrition from her formula. You are already doing it. Start introducing milk (which should have been started at 1 year) and start it in her sippy, not a bottle. She won't associate the two, like she does with the formula.

If you need ideas for nutritional meals for your baby, feel free to message me at any time. We JUST covered a babies diet in nutrition class, and I can give you straight from the book information whatever you want :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:56 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Babies should be off the bottle by 12 months so I'd be happy.
    Anonymous

• get her a sippy cup with a straw
    Anonymous

• keep trying the sippy cup she's at the age to give up bottles anyway some kids are ok without the bottle before their parents are ok with letting it go.
    Anonymous

• try to introduce juice a little at a time. and add more with each cup you give her until you get the amount of juice you want her to have whether it be half and half or full juice. and with milk, just keep giving it to her. try to add a tiny bit of nesquick in it for taste/ when she starts drinking that then just give her plain milk. but now is the best time to throw those bottles away. she weened herself off. if she still wont take her milk through the sippy cup then just give it to her in the bottle (if she can take it) and just give her the bottle at night for her bedtime bottle good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:24 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I'm ok with letting it go, I'm just concerned about how to replace the nutrition and hydration when she won't drink formula from her sippy cup. I'll try the straw, but she usually chews them instead of drinking through them.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:25 PM on May. 2, 2009

• be happy dont try to force the bottle back on her it is time for it to be gone be glad its not a fight
    put milk (she needs whole milk now not formula) in a sippy weather it be a reg one or one with a straw
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:28 PM on May. 2, 2009

• agreed with Carolyn. They say after 1 to introduce milk b/c that's the easiest source of Vitamin D and Calcium. Milk isnt' that healthy overall as a "meal"
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the info Carolyn. We couldn't introduce milk at 1 year because we didn't know her then. We adopted her in China just 6 weeks ago and we didn't want to change her bottle schedule too much right away because so much else was changing for her. If she's deciding it's ok to change it, that's fine with me...I just want to make sure she's getting everything she needs.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:51 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You're welcome, and that is completely understandable why she is still on the bottle/formula. And congrats on the new addition to your family!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:12 PM on May. 2, 2009