What should my baby wear in the pool?

She'll be roughly 6-8 months old when she gets in the pool for the first time this summer. Of course I'll hold her the entire time (duh). But should I buy a swimsuit for her, let her go naked, or do they make those swimmer underwear for babies her age?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:54 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they make the swimmers diapers. and I would put a bathing suit on her for more protection from the sun. along with a spf. plus they are so cute in a bathing suit! maybe a little sun hat too
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 9:57 PM on May. 2, 2009

• They make Little Swimmers Diapers for babies which are great because they don't bulk up in the pool. I'm not sure what sizes they come in, but even if you have to buy it a little big, its better than regular diapers. Also, I put my daughter in a shirt and short type swim suit that is SPF 50 so between that and the sunblock (which you should apply at least 20 minutes before putting her in the pool and re-apply frequently) she doesn't get much sun. You'll also want a good, deep hat with a brim to protect their face and ears from the sun. I also got my daughter a little floaty that she sits in with a built in canopy for sun protection. Once they're sitting up on their own, they're fine in that (with you right there of course). I got her a life jacket this year because she is walking and I don't think it is safe to have her walking near the pool without a life jacket.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:58 PM on May. 2, 2009

• There are "swim diapers", for babies. Huggies calls them Little Swimmers. When my older kids were that age they wore the Little Swimmers and a bathing suit.
    kgck_momma

Answer by kgck_momma at 9:58 PM on May. 2, 2009

• little swimmers are expensive but great. I have only put my daghter in them once. In her reg diapers ( a clean one ) a few times and butt naked most of the time. She makes it easy though....she makes a "pooping face" so we know when to run!!!! Just have fun with it.......try it all
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 10:02 PM on May. 2, 2009

• If she's naked she WILL pee or poop in the pool. You're best bet is that aforementioned swimmy diapers. They're pricey, but you don't use them as often as you use the regular diapers so it's not an all the time expense.

I have Simon enrolled in a swim class at our local YMCA. He LOVES it!

Tip: If you plan on dunking her blow in her face before you do it. It makes them naturally hold their breath.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:57 PM on May. 2, 2009

• My daughter will be about the same age...I got the swimmers to start out with...and of course lots of Aveno sunblock! and a nice little hat to keep sun from her head in the pool..it's water proof LOL ...as long as she has swimmers on u could put a suit on too..it's up to you really...just not a diaper b/c the cotton when real wet will leak out in pool and clog the pump and float around lol
    Diamondgurl08

Answer by Diamondgurl08 at 1:12 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I second the Swimmers. Whatever you do don't use a regular disposable diaper in a public pool. They fill as soon as they hit the water and disintegrate leaving a gross jelly mess in the water that is unsaintary and difficult to remove.
    Lindsay4JD

Answer by Lindsay4JD at 2:41 PM on May. 3, 2009