Best way to transition from bottle to sippy?

Okay, my daughter just turned 1 year and I know I'm supposed to transition her to the sippy cup and away from the bottle. She does fine with sippy cups during the day - she drinks juice and water with no issue. However, every time I put milk in a sippy cup (i.e. Cow's milk) she looks at me like I'm crazy and spits it out. I've been a little hesitant to give up the bottle (even though she is showing signs of being ready to say goodbye) because I'm afraid she won't be getting the milk/dairy she needs. Thoughts? I give cheese and yogurt but I'm not sure how much I'd have to give to makeup for the milk she isn't drinking.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 10:04 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 cups of calcium rich foods (such as cheddar cheese, black-eyed peas, broccoli, tofu, yogurt, etc.) a day is all that's needed for that age. You are doing right by not putting milk in a bottle - she is more likely to end up taking it from the sippy if she does not associate it with her bottle.

Another area of concern is iron - make sure your baby is getting adequate iron intake. At this age iron stores start to deplete, and they are no longer drinking iron fortified formula (most formula's are iron fortified).

If you would like more information / ideas on what to feed your daughter to make up for the lost nutrients from quitting formula, feel free to message me.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:17 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Maybe you could try just giving her water in her bottle so she gets bored with it.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:13 PM on May. 2, 2009