speech problems

My 11 year old son has a speech problem saying mostly his Rs and not really moving his tongur when he talks. He was in speech therapy way before he ever started school and now in the 4th grade still in speech and they are not even trying to help him. They give him worksheets how is that helping speech? I try my best to correct and help him but its not working. He needs extra help. I know speech therapists go to your house before you start school but is there any help for his age out side of school? He is very smart and always on the honor roll list so I know he doesnt have learning problems or anything like that. I have talked to the speech teachers but they dont seem to listen they are getting their money so they just dont care I guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• When I was a child, there was a before school program for children with speech problems. I went to that and it helped a lot. I would call the school or the school board and ask about programs. If that doesn't work, ask your sons dr if they know of any programs.
    Anonymous

• I looked for help outside of the school speech therapy.(my son stutters) I took him to the Speech pathologist at Kaiser and he talked so damn long my 4th grader fell asleep. This is what the genius said, "Suttering is what stutterers do when stutterers don't want to stutter". I was like, okaaaaayy, let's go Alex. Poor thing was all out of it after his 40 minute consult and Alex looked up and me and asked "so is he gonna 'fix' me"? I said "Honey, you don't need fixing, you are perfect just the way your are". I'm sorry about your son but some times you just have to do the therapy and accept that this is just incurable. My friends daughter is 11 and still can't say her R''s. You're not alone.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:42 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I would stop correcting him, he knows what he is doing "wrong". Worksheets are normal in speech classes/therapy. My brother went to speech and he used worksheets, my friends daughter is in speech and uses them, They should be reading out loud the words on the worksheets. If you are not happy with the speech he is getting at school, TALK TO THE THERAPIST. You can have your son read out loud each night. He may always have an issue with his speech, it happens. As long as he is comfortable with himself, has friends and is doing good in school, I wouldn't worry so much. You can also contact a private speech therapist/pathologist at a children's hospital and get private help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:40 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Ask for an IEP meeting (I'm assuming he has an IEP for speech) and have to speech teacher explain exactly what she's doing to help him. You're right, worksheets aren't going to help his articulation.

Unfortunately in many areas speech therapy in the schools is being cut since speech problems don't directly impact academics. It could be that their programs are getting cut so there's not much they can do.

If you are willing and able to pay for private therapy the school should be able to point you in the right direction.  He should be getting therapy to teach him how to exercise his tongue and mouth and learn to place them properly in his mouth the make the sounds. 

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:58 PM on May. 3, 2009