How do I get my 5 year old to stop chewing in the front of his shirt?

Asked by fallenleaves at 8:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son did this too. He had no shirts without holes in the collar. he even had wet spots on his shirt in his school pictures. he is 10 now and the chewing stopped at about 7. his dr. said lots of children do that out of boredom and it was nothing to worry about.

Answer by ELQsMommy at 4:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• teel him whats in the shirt like tell him how its made with dyes and soap and he doesnt want to eat that

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my son used to do that too! I used to get so mad at him cuz he would ruin the collar. He eventually grew out of it. he's 8 now.

Answer by SweetMama823 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• He could be an oral or texture sensory seeker. He may like how the shirt feels in his mouth. Is he willing to stop the behavior when you intervene? If so, gently remind him and offer other engaging activities to keep his attention focused. Have you run this by your pediatrician? You might want to at your next well child.

Answer by okiemom64 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2008