I'm considering joining the Catholic church because there is a church I really like, but I had my tubes tied and I know they aren't for BC. Can I still join?

I recently had my tubes tied because it was in the best interest of my mental and physical health, not to have any more children. I agreed to have my tubes tied and I don't regret it. There is a long history! I really like a particular Catholic church for many different reasons, but am worried it could be a problem. I husbands fam is Catholic, and I really want my kids to experience a church family, and have a good relationship with God. The people in this congregation are wonderful people and I'd really like to be a part of it. I just don't know....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do not believe they would ask. I big part is you have to be open to life. Well you had kids and they can see that, so you are open to life. Having your tubes tied was best for you and they cannot argue that. If you have a strong feling for this one church you should go and be happy. I am a single, never married, mom and they still welcome me.
    nadris29

Answer by nadris29 at 11:15 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Tubal ligation is NOT an issue. In fact, birth control teachings in the Catholic Church are far more honored in the breach than in the doing anyway.

But no one will even ASK or give a darn.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:28 PM on May. 2, 2009

• And why would they need to know such personal details? More catholic people than you would think are on B.C RIGHT NOW!! My mom was raised catholic as were we and she had 5 kids. I found out later when I was older that she had been on b.c here and there because let's face it, if she hadn't been she would have been pregnant all the time as my family is a fertile bunch:). But I know people can be nosy and will ask you about having kids, you either don't have enought or you have too many!! Think of a good response for your situation and stick to it. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:30 PM on May. 2, 2009

• why not just ask the head of that church? i'm sure you can talk to him anytime outside of services. you should be knowledgeable about everything the church stands for/outlaws. but, of course, if you were to join a catholic church, you'd find out all of these things in their classes. take a top-10 list of questions with you, and talk to the head-dude.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:34 PM on May. 2, 2009

• Honestly I really dont think it is any of their business. But that's JMO.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:39 PM on May. 2, 2009