How do you feel about donating eggs?

So when I was in the waitng room at the hospital the other day I saw that the hospital is accepting egg donations. It pays $2500, and it would be helping other wanna be mommies. Well DH's hours just got cut, so now he's a little concerned over money. I am really considering it, but I dont know what the risks are. DH is concerned about infertility. I told him it probably was a very slight risk, but if that was to happen that it was probably meant to be anyway. I honestly do want more kids, in about 3 years, after Im done with school (yesterday made 1 full year of college for me!!!!), however, if we didnt have another kid, I would probably be alright with that. We have our two wonderful girls, so its not like I would be missing out on having kids. What are your thoughts on donating eggs?

cheriealanismom

Asked by cheriealanismom at 10:31 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Health

• I would totally do it. But that's a personal thing. I think that you should really research it and discuss it further with your husband and doctor. I've considered this before. Especially because this pregnancy will be my last. I figure...why not?
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 10:33 PM on May. 2, 2009

• i am on the fence with that one. on one hand i would love to help out a woman in need of having kids.. i have already told my sister in law that probably can not carry kids of her own that i would be her surrogate. and i would let her use one of my eggs as well if needed. i don't know if i could do that for a stranger knowing i would have a child out there of mine that i would probably never see. i dont think 2500 is enough for me(please no bashing over this)
    on the other hand i would like to help a stranger have a child and i would feel proud of myself knowing i have given a child a good home.
    i dont know that is a very touch question.
    Anonymous

• Well $2500 may not be that much, but its not just for the money. It would be so nice to know that Im helping someone that cant do it on there own.
    cheriealanismom

Answer by cheriealanismom at 10:39 PM on May. 2, 2009

• It used to be $2,000 per egg and they would take out up to 15 eggs so that would add up. I tried to get my dd to do it and she agreed but we couldn't find a hospital that did it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:10 PM on May. 2, 2009

• It may be $2500 per egg, and I saw somewhere it said the meds made more than one egg mature at a time, so that could be more what it is, Im not sure. That hospital was UNC Chapel Hill Hospital.
    cheriealanismom

Answer by cheriealanismom at 11:14 PM on May. 2, 2009