why does my 2yr old still wake up in the middle of the night crying

I have a two year old who wakes up screming in the middle of the night and when we try to put him back to sleep he just get louder.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine has the same lately .. maby its the weather ;) jkn .... is he done teething yet?
    StellaBella2007

Answer by StellaBella2007 at 11:23 PM on May. 2, 2009

• You're not alone! Our two year old is crying on the other side of the country from yours....

All my hubby and I have been able to figure out is:

He's having a bad dream.

He's got his two year molars coming in and is in pain.

If you think of another reason, let me know!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:25 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I have no answers for you....this one time when my dd and I were at my sm's for the weekend it was getting cold and I got her out of her room to put her in bed with me to make sure she stayed warm and she started screaming 'mommy, I want my mommy'. I tried to tell her 'it's me' and she just screamed louder 'no, you're aunt Becky (my sister), I want mommy'...I couldn't calm her no matter what I did so I had to turn on the light to show her it was actually me. She apparently had a nightmare or was in that 'crazy speaking, freaking out' stage of between sleep and awakeness....Maybe get him a night light (a very dim one so it doesn't keep him awake) but something that will show him who you are if he's speaking and thinking crazy. lol
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 11:27 PM on May. 2, 2009

• I have the same problem, but daughter is 3yrs. old. She wakes up "every" night crying, like every 2 to 3 hours. My husband says she has bad dreams and my mom says it because her and sister (5yr old) fuss and fight with each other all day and then she dreams about them fussing and fighting. They are so terrible, she's probaly right. lol But if anyone has something different, please let me know.
    easygoing144

Answer by easygoing144 at 11:48 PM on May. 2, 2009

• That sounds like night terrors.
    When you enter the room, take a moment before you grab him to see if he looks at you. If he doesn't notice you are in the room, do not wake him. Stay nearby to make sure he doesn't hurt himself until he lays back down. Think of this as sleep walking. You might try humming a lullaby softly - he may hear it and it may help him relax sooner. He won't remember it in the morning. Some things that can cause night terrors are being overtired and eating too much too close to dinner.
    If he does notice you come in then it's a nightmare. Comfort him until he relaxes enough to go back to sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:38 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I would say it is nightmares. About this age is when their dreams start to seem real to them. My littlt girl did the same thing. She is 5 now and it still happens every once in awhile. I agree with Kaycee14. Most of the time my DD doesn't wake up she just cries out while she is asleep, and I found out do not wake her up. I just talk very softly to her and she calms down. The first few times I woke her and the crying and screaming became worse. So follow Kaycee14's advice.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:24 AM on May. 3, 2009

• my dd is 2 and she also has this problem and my friend has a 2 yr old with the some problem if anyone finds something we can do to help our kids please tell
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 11:35 AM on May. 3, 2009