Scrapbooking novice seeks advice

I am planning a giant scrapbook of my daughter's first year. I have saved everything sentimental from the day she was born...to her baptismal gown, to the plates and cups from her first birthday party. Not to mention thousands of pictures...there are about 600 that will go in the sb.

I need a sb large enough (about 20x25”) to accommodate a full newspaper page and deep enough to hold 100 pages or more or capable of substantial expansion. (5-10 inches maybe?) I have found giant sbs of this size...but they do not expand.

I need corresponding page protectors preferably deep enough to accommodate an infant dress. I have also found giant page protectors...but...

Do they make something like a page protector that can be used to display something thicker than a piece of paper...like an infant dress within the sb?

I've been googling for days and can't find quite what I'm looking for.

Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I think you are better off keeping the paper products with the scrapbook and getting another container for the other stuff. I know for my DD, I have her baby book scrap book. But I got an old trunk/hopechest. This way, as she grows I can add more and more to it. I just keep them sorted, with shoe boxes or baskets. It's nice to keep at the foot of my bed and also can double as seating.

My mom had one when we(siblings and I) were growing up. She still has art work from grade school, year books, tickets from dances, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:27 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree with xxhazeldovexx, but want to add that, for your most precious things, you can put them in a shadowbox and display it on your wall.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 9:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Yep, hope chest or maybe shadow boxes. I've got a journal entry of my sons first year scrap book if you want to see. I have to get a photo from his b-day developed and it will be done!!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:25 PM on May. 4, 2009

• A scrapbook is for memories, photos, notes, little pieces of memorabilia. Bigger items should go into a hope chest, or, if you want to display them in a shadow box. Creative Memories has these really cute displays that are 12x12 or 8x8. You can view them on their website. Super cute!

600 is a HUGE amount of photos and I'm afraid that you might get overwhelmed, especially if this is your first scrapbook. You might want to break it up into smaller albums such as an album dedicated to her birth and hospital stay, another album from after she's home to about 6 months and then maybe one from 6 months to 1 year. If you have that many photos and you feel the need to scrap them all, you may want to break them down into even smaller 3 month albums.

Anonymous

• I am a CMC, so I am more then happy to help you with anything that you need! I would have to agree with some of the ladies on here, I would stick with photos, notes, cards, FLAT ITEMS for your scrapbook... you can add any other items to a Memorbilia Box. Creative Memories has expandable abums with page protectors! :)

Please feel free to send me a message, as I said before I am more then happy to help!
    www.mycmsite.com/chrissydetary
    Good Luck!
    Chrissy
    cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 6:03 PM on May. 4, 2009