• In the Spotlight:

Is it Post-Partum? ....My friend just gave birth 6 days ago. She sounded...

Hello, I am not a mother nor have been pregnant before. My friend (24) just gave birth to her first, and while we are in different states, I could tell her voice change drop in excitement while talking to her for the first time since the birth. She sounded like she did a 180, from being excited all through her wedding and pregnancy, has wanted kids since we were 14, but her voice dropped to sounding totally listless on the phone. I know that she is recovering still and tired, but it sounded like she was totally discouraged from her, that she couldn't believe how hard it was and that during it she felt like she was not going to be able to do it, that she was screaming and shouting and shocked about the experience. When asked about the baby, she seemed removed, saying: "she sleeps on my belly and ...makes lots of faces. I don't know." I was speechless. She said she doesn't think she could give birth again. Fatigue or p-p?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on May. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it could just be the baby blues. she went through labor, is recovering and a newborn is a lot of work. lots of crying can make new moms very anxious, scared, confused and overwhelmed. newborns dont have a sleeping schedule. they will wake up every few hours around the clock for the first few weeks. and if she is breastfeeding thats another issue of patience and frustration (not to all of course). so she might just be exhausted. but hopefully it'll get better once she kinda gets the hang of things. does she have any help? is the daddy around? any family or friends close by?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:39 PM on May. 2, 2009

• gladly, yes, her husband is around, her mother too....the baby seems to sleep... not sure if she is breastfeeding, i'd imagine so.
    sodafizz2

Answer by sodafizz2 at 12:22 AM on May. 3, 2009