Do you think it's tacky to register for a birthday party?

A close friend of mine (who feels she is quite the authority on taste) registered at Toys R Us for her 3 year olds birthday party. Not only that-but she keeps mentioning it to me-as if I could forget-ITS ON THE INVITATION. I mean I get doing it for baby showers and weddings-but Birthday parties? Is just me or are we just becoming one, big, registry happy country?! Would you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't. Gifts shouldn't be EXPECTED at a party. They are nice, but not a requirement and anything you get should be appreciated. Now mind you, I won't go to a party without a gift, but I would NEVER register for a birthday party. I totally agree with you.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:02 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Hell Yes that is tacky. It's a child for God's sake, not a wedding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on May. 3, 2009

• VERY tacky
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:03 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Yes I do think that is tacky and no I would not do it. When people register for wedding or baby showers it is usually because they are letting people know of the things that they NEED. For a birthday party though it is mainly things that the child WANTS. I've never heard of someone doing that before...very weird.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:04 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I have thought about it, but haven't done it because I decided it was kinda tacky.

I did register the kids for christmas once. but that was only after someone that wanted them to have a blow-out christmas asked me to do it. I gave them the list, but didn't send it out to anyone else.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:07 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I am honestly just annoyed by the fact she keeps mentioning it to me-especially considering she didn't get my child anything for her birthday. She called me 4 days before her party and told me she was having financial troubles and wouldn't be able to bring a gift to the party-but would get her something later. I was understanding as money is usually tight for me as well. However considering that fact and the fact that she keeps mentioning the registry-which for all but 2 items-is filled with items over $30.00 she is really getting on my nerves. I have every intention of getting her daughter a gift but I do not like feeling forced or obligated in any specific direction-especially considering I did not do that to her-nor would I do that to anyone.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Tell her that you're having financial troubles and just couldn't afford anything on her registry, but you still got her something that you could. She sounds rude and snotty to me . . . sorry . . . she sounds like someone I know. . . . everything at their convenience . .. grrrrr.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:25 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't. I agree that gives shouldn't be expected. I have taught my kids that birthdays are to celebrate with friends and that nobody has to bring a gift. I too wouldn't go to a party without a gift. I could see if it was an 90th birthday or something but I personally wouldn't.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:30 AM on May. 3, 2009

• My SIL does the same thing, for each birthday, for her children. I think it is terribly tacky. She also registers for Christmas gifts.
    Having a short handwritten list, just in case some one asks, is one thing but having a whole registry is another.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 12:48 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't do that. Gifts should be EXPECTED. I mean, yes her kids going to get some... but if your sending out invites.. most of the time you know the kid and person.. and if your going to get the kid something, it's not like you can't ask what type of things they need, to get an idea. Not everyone has a lot of money, and shouldn't be expected to get what she wants her kid to have.

I feel bad for the kid.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:01 AM on May. 3, 2009