is it normal for a formula fed baby to have runny bms every day, couple times a day sometimes?

i changed his brand of formula about 2 months ago to the heinz nurture infant formula. he hasnt had a solid bowel movment since i started him on it. he is 5 1/2 months old. before i changed his formula he would have a solid poop a couple times a week, sometimes once a day. could he be allergic to it, or is it normal? also he throws up a little (sometimes a lot) after every bottle and has since he was born. does anyone else have or had these kind of problems?

silentbreeze86

Asked by silentbreeze86 at 12:15 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that doesn't sound normal to me....
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:23 AM on May. 3, 2009

• It all depends on the baby's digestive system. I would talk to your pediatrician on that one! My daughter's been a few formulas b/c of colic and acid reflux and one bound her up so I changed it after 1 month of having a cranky baby and another gave her runs so I changed it again and now she's on Similac Alimentum and doing well. Talk with Doc b/c one bm a day is good and healthy but to many can be a problem and real runny might mean you need to change something up. . . although if they are on cereal or food that could make a differance too! my girl is on cereal in morning and veggies for lunch & dinner w/ her formula @ 5 months old and we just started it but she has not had a bm in 2 days but it's normal to be a few days once starting something new...so it can go on a lot of things! Good luck!
    Diamondgurl08

Answer by Diamondgurl08 at 12:57 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Is it watery or just really soft? My 10 month old still has mostly soft poop, but if it's watery then you'll want to talk to your doctor. Also the throwing up I think should really be slowing down by now. I think you should talk to your doctor about switching brands.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:58 AM on May. 3, 2009

• half the time its watery and the other times its soft. i was given 7 cases of the heinz stuff for free so thats why i switched to it. before i switched i was using enfamil A+ powdered formula, the one for spitting up. i didnt really have any problems with it..he was still spitting up once in a while but thats normal. his bms were normal most of the time, the occasional runny diaper or sticky tar like bms. since he was born weve tried about 5 different formulas because he would throw up most of them. i think ill switch back to the enfamil and see how that goes. could it make a difference whether its powdered formula or liquid formula?
    silentbreeze86

Answer by silentbreeze86 at 12:39 PM on May. 3, 2009