4 year old and eating?

my 4 year old step daughter will take 30 minutes eating something that will take any other person 5 mins to eat. sometimes it will take an hour just to eat. she litterally chews a piece of rice for about 2 mins.i usually only give her a small bowl full of food sometimes half depending on if its something i know she likes or not. i use to give her a full big bowl of food and she'd only eat half or less. so i started giving her half of what i use to give her and she still only ate half or less. her 5 year old brother just scarfs down his food. it gets frustrating especially when we have to leave right after supper and were waiting on her. she is 4 years old and weighs 34lbs. its hard finding clothes for her because she fits size 3 waist and thats still a little big but she fits the size 4 in length. does anyone else have a 4 year old that eats really slow and not alot?

silentbreeze86

Asked by silentbreeze86 at 12:24 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• YES! My granddaughter will hardly eat anything at all. Yesterday, I finally found something she likes! Grilled Cheese, cut into 1/4's. She ate 3 of them, minus the crust, of course. It's, "I don't like that" or "I'm not hungry". She too is very tiny, but tall. I guess they will eat when they get hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on May. 3, 2009

• No, sorry I have the opposite problem. My 4 y/o girl is in a size 6x...but she is tall for her age too. But don't get me wrong she likes to eat...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on May. 3, 2009

• yes my father in law's daughter is that way.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 3:43 AM on May. 3, 2009

• my 4 year old has just reached 35 pounds. it's not worth fighting over. she just likes her meals split up. i find that she eats more if she is offered 5-6 small portions throughout the day, instead of 3 bigger ones. maybe that is worth trying?
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:29 AM on May. 3, 2009

• My dd is 4 yrs old as well, and yes she is a slowwwwwww eater. Poor thing she is always the last one to finish her food, and sometimes she doesnt even do that. She also likes to pick at her food,, she says shes wants a sandwhich and all she does is pick at it. I think its normal and she will grow out of it as she gets older. I guess she took after her mommy because I too am a slow eater. :)
    kgmmw

Answer by kgmmw at 9:35 AM on May. 3, 2009

• We used to have the same trouble with our soon to be 5 year old. We would wait and wait and wait for her to eat. I read in a book that we need to remember that their stomach is only the size of their fist. So, if they have a little fist thats all the food you should put on their plate. We used to fill her plate full and expect her to eat it. Then we started giving her 3 to 4 bites of everything. Once she started cleaning her plate then we were excited and so was she. I think part of the problem was that it just looked like too much food. Now she eats really well.
    MegH2020

Answer by MegH2020 at 9:45 AM on May. 3, 2009

• My three year old eats slowly sometimes. Once everyone else is finished, he gets another 15 minutes (with warnings) and then I take his plate. I usually only have to do it twice, then he eats better for a while.

I give time after everyone else is done to be sure he's getting enough time so he doesn't eat so fast he gets sick (happened with my oldest who was in too big a hurry!! Not fun!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:52 PM on May. 3, 2009

• I agree with the prev. poster about splitting up meals into 6 day. Some children are just not fast eaters. Period.

I think its horrible to take a kids food away because they arent eating fast enough for you.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:55 PM on May. 3, 2009

• i let her take her time most of the time if were not in a hurry to leave. i usually make her sit at the table till all her foods gone or atleast 3/4 of it. i really dont give her alot of food...half a small bowl is about 3 tablespoons that i give her. sometimes i have to feed her myself just so she will eat. shes really good when i feed her and can finish in about 5 to 10 mins depending on the meal. but if i leave her alone most of the time she will put really small amounts of food on her spoon and most of the time play with it. and she'll make it seem like a penny amount of food stuffs her mouth like a chipmunk. i usually have to tell her 4 times during the meal to eat her food.
    silentbreeze86

Answer by silentbreeze86 at 4:03 PM on May. 3, 2009

• When everyone else has finished and it's been 45 minutes already, an added 15 minutes gave him an entire hour to eat. That is plenty of time for anyone to eat a simple meal.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:19 PM on May. 3, 2009