Belly Sleeping?

My daughter is just 5 months old and I've had the worst time getting her to take to crib. Bc her acid reflux was so bad she had been sleeping in her infant carseat until a few days ago bc she just realized she can arch her back and push her way out of it LOL so...I started the crib again..what an adventure...now she's sleept on her back since day ONE but now she hates it, she just learned how to roll over this past week & will only sleep on her belly...@ 5 months old I'm sure she's old enough to know if she can't breath to move her head..but of course being a first time mom and hearing bad things about belly sleeping and SIDS I worry...so...is belly sleeping Ok if it's the only way they will sleep? She gets put in crib on her back but rolls to belly and falls asleep...and sleeps much better on belly....I'm checking on her constantly b/c I'm so nervous...oye..pls share your thoughts.

Diamondgurl08

Asked by Diamondgurl08 at 12:37 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she can roll over, she can sleep however she wants. Really. That's what the recommendations are - put them down to sleep on their backs and once they can roll over, don't worry about it. She is mobile enough now to move anything that might block her airway.

Also, most reflux babies are more comfortable on their tummies.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:44 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I know what they say about sids and belly sleeping..but I am here to tell you, I have 2 kids (3,2, AND 2 weeks) and all of them have been tummy sleepers. It made me nervous at first, but it is the only way they would sleep.
    As long as she can lift her head and roll over I am sure that she will be ok.
    Best of luck to you!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 12:45 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Emma has been sleeping on her belly since she was like a month old, she sleeps better, and my doctor said once she can roll not to worry about it.
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 12:49 AM on May. 3, 2009

• if she can rollover and lift up her head its fine...if thats how shes comfortable i wouldnt worry about it
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 12:51 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Both my sons slept on their tummys and both are fine. She is old enough to do it as well...I agree with all the other posters
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Thank you all so much for the advice! Being a first time mommy has it's worries until u get used to things I guess...everything changes so quickly with them LOL she just started rolling so it's all new and very adventurous LOL
    Diamondgurl08

Answer by Diamondgurl08 at 1:23 AM on May. 3, 2009

• My son is 6 months and has acid reflux too, and will only sleep on his tummy.
    (he figured out the arching out of the car seat pretty quick, also)

The reason I didn't worry about it was because I'm only 20 - and I was put to sleep on my tummy... it didn't become a bad thing to do until about '94 or '95 I think.

And we're all alive, so obviously it's okay :P
    theheatherbeast

Answer by theheatherbeast at 3:07 PM on May. 3, 2009