Is it normal for me to not be able to sleep when my kids stay the night places?

I am a very over protective mom. My oldest will be 12 in a month. I have been trying really hard lately to let her do more things and not be so overbearing. She is staying the night at a girlfriends house tonight, and I am sooo freakin restless. I feel like if I fall asleep I'll miss an emergency phone call or something! Is this normal? I don't want to feel this way, but I just worry about my kids sooo much when they aren't with me. Please tell me I'm not the only crazy one...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Anyone?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 3, 2009

• my daughter is 3, i have spent like maybe 6 nights away from her, when hubby is about to deploy or after he gets home and we get a room and leave her w/grandma.. and even then i have to call and check on her and take forever to fall asleep....i'm hoping i'll grow out of it..just relax you know you won't miss the call, i mean you've been waking up to whatever she needs for 12 yrs. i'm assuming since you said yourself you are overprotective you know the parents well therefore you know shes safe, she'll be ok. enjoy yourself! ( i know coming from someone who just said i do the same thing not that great, but you aren't the only one)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:53 AM on May. 3, 2009

• this is a totally normal thing.You don't know who's over these peoples house.the friends father could be a child predator!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on May. 3, 2009

• ya thats really what she wanted to hear
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:57 AM on May. 3, 2009

• or a rapist!or molestor!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Um thanks 3rd poster that'll help me sleep!
    Anonymous

• Hey, sorry, it's the truth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 3, 2009

• 2nd poster thanks for your reply...I have met the parents...they seem fine, but how do I REALLY know you know what I mean. And I totally freak myself out b/c this girl does have an older brother he is 16 I think. So that kinda freaks me out too. I've talked to my daughter about it and I am pretty sure she knows what to do if something freaky went down. I just don't want her to go anywhere ever :(
    Anonymous

• 3rd poster are you ever gonna let your kids stay the night anywhere? Or are you more paranoid than I am? Or are you just being mean trying to freak me out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on May. 3, 2009

• woah you think a 16 year old is going to rape a little girl that probably is still built like a boy?im sorry lady but cut the cord your kids are probably going to hate you when they are older and rebell against you and have sex when they hit jr high..CUT THE CORD
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on May. 3, 2009