Has anyone noticed mild weight gain around the tummy area of their pre-pubescent girls? Possibly related to hormones or puberty changes?

My daughter is a healthy little 11 year old (almost 12) has started developing lots of signs of puberty but hasn't started her period yet. Just over the past few months I've noticed her tummy has pooched out a little bit and her face seems a little bit chubbier, she's always had a really healthy flat little tummy before and has never had even a little extra weight. I'm wondering if this could be related to her getting ready to start her period, I've heard it happens sometimes and once their periods start their body gets back in balance and their weight goes back to normal. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I'm concerned that I should be having her up her exercise if it's not related to hormonal changes. She plays volleyball 2x a week but maybe it's not enough? Hmm.. concerned..

KMGMom

Asked by KMGMom at 1:25 AM on May. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Happened to me, happened to every girl I know. Her body is preparing for the biggest growth spurt she's had since she was a baby. She will develop breasts and become sexually viable in the next year or so. Her body is storing the extra energy it will need to make those changes.

It never hurts to add healtheir foods, decrease junk and up the exercise, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:29 AM on May. 3, 2009

• My daughter is the same age and I have noticed the same issues with her. And man is she ever crabby...I am just counting the days cause I'll tell ya I think that she's gonna start any minute.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on May. 3, 2009

• yes I have noticed this
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 1:31 AM on May. 3, 2009

• happened to me too. make sure you watch how you say anything to her though, b/c my mom wasn't very tactful and just told us (my sisters and i when they got there too) that we had gained weight and needed to do something about it. so of course we had a screw you attitude about anything she had to say body wise after that.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:31 AM on May. 3, 2009

• My daughter is 11 going on 12 in a few weeks, and she too has a little pooch in the mid section. She has gymnastics once a week basketball every Wednesday swims every Thursday and plays soccer every Friday. I am pretty sure that the extra belly fat is due to hormonal changes because she is always on the go, not to mention the fact that she is a type one diabetic. I think, actually I hope she doesn't get a self image problem because of the belly. I think she's beautiful regardless and I constantly tell her so.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 1:32 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Oh yes this sounds very normal. I was a little on the thicker side when I went through puberty. Stayed that way for a few years, it went away when I was 17. Very normal. My mom said it happened to her. She told me I would thin back out and she was right. I think it is just a puberty thing.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 2:10 AM on May. 3, 2009

• I gained about 10 pounds when I was 9. For what seemed like no reason. My mom was actually concerned I was developing a thyroid problem. Then I started my menstrual cycles within months. Seems about right. I thinned out again by the time I was 14. But I was an early bloomer. She may be a little thicker until 16-17. And do, be careful about the way you approach it. Tell her something about how it is her body's way of preparing to become a woman and that after a few years, she will thin back out and have a more mature body. It is a phase I know most prepubescent girls go through.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:59 AM on May. 3, 2009

• YES!!!! My daughter is turning 11 in about 2 weeks and my older dd is quite thin but still went through a mild growth spurt at this age. This child has belly fat and in her face. I thought..oh no, my daughter is going to be heavy like me. THEN, I saw the girls in her class and on her ball team and they looked the exact same wall. ALL of them had that belly fat and round face. My daughter was actually quite mild comparatively. Now in the last 4 mos, her foot went from a size 4 to a 7 and I don't think its done growing. Her knees are hurting and her shoulders are starting to broaden. Shes grown about an inch in the last 4 mos as well. Her face is slimming up too. She weighs 89 lbs and is 4'10. Her doc said shes just fine and felt she was thin enough. It was just the seemingly appearance of extra weight that bothered me. We keep her very active too. Basketball and baseball and next year, soccer. This is so normal.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:06 AM on May. 3, 2009

• Happened to me, is happening to my niece and friends daughters. It is normal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:35 PM on May. 3, 2009

• Thanks so much everyone. I feel so much better! =D
    KMGMom

Answer by KMGMom at 1:18 PM on May. 3, 2009